Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hackers target Research/Development Institutions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:53 PM

In the past few weeks there has been a rise in Hackers targetting supercomputers located at Research and Development Institutions around the world. Labs such as the San Diego Supercomputer Center, Stanford University,and the University of Illinois' National Center for Supercomputing Applications were among the centers that were compromised. It is suspected that these types of institutions were targetted due to the large amount of Internet bandwidth that are available at these locations, which could enable hackers to launch large-scale distributed denial of service attacks at other websites. There has been no firm number as to the amount of institutions that were targetted, but officials state that there were many targets. This had lead them to believe that these attacks may have been organized and coordinated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Wup2000_*

Guest_Wup2000_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:54 PM

This is a little scary. I heard about this on the news but did not know that the hackers were actually successful at some of the places.

#3 redhawk

redhawk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:07 PM

Mr. S- Any thoughts on who may have orchestrated these attacks? Domestic or foreign?

#4 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:41 PM

Unfortunately noone has released from where these attacks occurred from, if they even can know. Everything I have read has stated that none of the machines were actually "used" but rather were broken into to see how far they could get.

For some reason, and no factual info here, I think it was foreign and not political. I just do not think a group of domestic hackers would be stupid enough to attempt this considering how public the government is in their warnings against this type of behaviour. Espcially considering that some of these institutions are heavily government funded. If they were foreign, and get caught, there is a good chance nothing could happen as a lot of foreign countries have loose cybercrime laws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users