Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Vista, Trying To Go Back

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:15 AM

hello,

I installed vista on my computer and am now trying to go back to windows xp(surprise). only problem is that when i go to install xp i dont even get to where i can chose to install and it goes to some blue screen deal that says this error code(its all i could get before the screen went blank), 0xf78d2524. i googled that and came up with lots of people having somewhat similar problems, but most of them were having to do with fresh installs on fresh systems that had never had xp installed on them before so therefore it was just them having to install some driver on them to fix it. i don't really see why it would be that in my case since i have had xp working on my computer before, not more than 2 days ago, and now its not working. if anyone has some fresh perspective on my situation them feel free to chime in cause im at my wits end here lol. thanx in advance ^_^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

If you are trying to roll back from Vista...I'd have to guess that is not going to work smoothly (don't know, I would just do a clean install of XP).

I do know that the two employ different drivers and would guess that it's the Vista drivers presenting you problems.

Exactly what steps have you taken to "go back"? If we know what you've done, better suggestions will probably result.

Louis

#3 imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

thanx for the reply, im not trying to roll back. im trying to do a clean install, format and install. ive even used a linux program to format and then put the xp cd in but it does the exact same thing :-\

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

That may be your problem :thumbsup:.

Try using the linux distro to just destroy/eliminate the Vista install...then use the XP CD to format/create the partition.

Louis

#5 imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:07 AM

ive already tried using the linux distro to format my computer, it formats it just fine but then it wont let me install xp again. but it will let me install vista again with no problem at all. maybe its a new feature of vista to cripple your computer so it can only install vista on it.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:39 AM

what kind of disk are you trying to install xp with?

some manufacturers cd's rely on a recovery partition for this

vista and linux would have hosed that
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:08 AM

im using a purchased version of a windows xp sp 2 disk. so its not a manufactured version. also if it helps the computer i have is an e-machines t5224

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:17 AM

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

exactly where in this procedure are you getting stopped?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:46 AM

step 7-1 as soon as i put in the cd and it boots from it it says its loading all the drivers and stuff or whatever it has to load before setup starts and then it gives me a blue screen with error 0xf78d2524 on it.

#10 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:41 AM

Have you considered a dual boot? If you have a large enough harddrive you may be able to have both XP and vista on your system.

#11 imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:03 AM

i cant even get to the point where i can install xp, so i dont think dual booting will be an option

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:48 AM

The eMachines T5224 has a SATA drive as standard equipment ( http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...amp;model=T5224 ). Are you loading the SATA drivers for your motherboard when XP prompts you to "Press F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers"?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:59 AM

no im not, and i don't know where i would get the drivers either. and i also don't have a floppy drive if that is something that i would need :-\

#14 imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:10 AM

i found this page which seems to have the right idea: http://forums.techarena.in/showpost.php?p=...amp;postcount=4

but the links are dead so i guess it doesnt help all that much.

#15 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

i cant even get to the point where i can install xp, so i dont think dual booting will be an option

What I meant was not installing XP on Vista. You have at the moment one partition and you can't have a dual boot on one partition. If you can get to Vista you can partition your drive using Vista utility then you have a free partition to install XP.

But you seem to be on the right track with what you wanted to do and I won't distract you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users