Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Disappearing Disk Space - Hidden System Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JAKC

JAKC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:43 AM

Hi! I have XP pro SP2 (and virtually nothing else) in an 11GB NTFS partition. Although the toal used file space is reported as upwards of 9.6 GB (often more), the visible and hidden files comprice at most 3.5 GB. I unchecked the "hide hidden system files" (or whatever) box and found, in the Windows directory, 4 enormous files with single-letter names: A, P, Q and R (I think). I have done all the other obvious things to reclaim desk space (clearing all temp and downloaded prog files, splitting the pagefile across 2 other disks (and eliminating it fronm this partition), getting rid of old system restore data (I think), defragmenting, etc.

My question is - does anyone know what these files are, why they are so big and whether I can remove them?

A secondary question (which may contain the answer to the first) is: it appears from partition magic (used to create the partition) that the partition is not bootable (and seems unwilling to be made bootable or to be moved to the beginning of the disk). Nonetheless, the machine boots perfectly well - it's the only OS on the machine at the moment).

Thanks,

J.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

When you right-click and view Properties...what is reflected for these files?

I've never seen a file with a single-letter name in Windows, only partitions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users