Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Resolution Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:35 AM

Hi,
I just got a 22" widescreen LCD monitor and am going through all the desktop resolution settings to find one that looks most comfortable to my poor old eyeballs, and 960 x 600 seems to be ideal, but just my luck it suffers from slight text blurring, the letters aren't crisp at all, yet on all other resolutions the text is fine.
Why not on 960 x 600? Is there a remedy?
Thanks

(PS- I'm Sempron 3000, 512 RAM,Win XP Home, Nvidia4 128Mb)

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 15 May 2008 - 12:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:57 AM

What is the make and model number of your monitor?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

First set the resolution to a clear picture, With an LCD monitor you want to set it to its native resolution. Probably 1680x1050 but can't tell without knowing what monitor you have. you can manually change the DPI or just the font sizes if you prefer to do that. if you right click on the desktop and go into properties Settings then click advanced. on the DPI drop box you can make everything a little bigger or you can manually set it yourself. If its just the fonts you're having trouble reading go to the Appearance tab and use the Font dropdown box to change the font sizes. In your browser you can easily set webpage text to a comfortable level by holding down the control key and moving your mouse wheel up for bigger text or down for smaller. Or set it in your options but i don't know what browser you're using.

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

Thanks guys, setting the DPI larger seems to have done the trick..:)
As for games, I simply try a few in-game resolution settings til I find one that looks best, so that's working fine now too.
Just one thing- some games only have a limited number of reso settings and none of them are any good because the pic still looks stretched out too much on my 22" widescreen (circles are ovals, and squares become rectangles etc) Is there any way round that?

PS- my mon is a HannsG Hi221D

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

And another thing- why there are options such as 60/ 72/ 75 Mhz, what are they for?
Shall I just set the highest and leave it at that?
I mean, why set it on a low setting?

Likewise there's a 'sharpness 0 to 6' option on my monitor, shall I set it to 6 (maximum)?
Why would I want to set a lower sharpness than the max?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

Definition of 'refresh rate': The refresh rate is the number of times a display's image is repainted or refreshed per second. The refresh rate is expressed in hertz so a refresh rate of 75 means the image is refreshed 75 times in a second. The refresh rate for each display depends on the video card used. You can change the refresh rate in the display properties. However, if you change the refresh rate to a setting that the display or video card cannot support, the display goes blank or the image becomes distorted. It is recommended to consult the display and video card manuals before changing the settings to determine the supported refresh rates.

The definition is quoted from here.

Sorry but I can't respond to your 'sharpness' query as I'm not familar with that setting.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

for the stretched out game pictures use a widescreen resolution. 1440x900 is what i use on mine, if that's too small still i'm pretty sure 1280x768 is a widescreen format too. The sharpness thing, not real sure. I'd just set it to where it looks good to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users