Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie 7.0

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RaininginLA

RaininginLA

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

In November 2007, with the help of a member on this site, I was able to remove malware and adware from my computer (it had hijacked both IE and Mozilla). Although I don't have the malware, and hijacking anymore, I've found that my IE 7.0 is still problematic. It gets hung up ("freezes") while navigating, and is sometimes just really slow, to the point where it's not usable. I used to have some problems with Mozilla as well, but I noticed it has improved recently (I updated Adobe Flash, but I don't know whether that would have any impact). Mozilla used to give me strange error messages, like it couldn't find a (reputable) website, etc.

Is it possible that there are some lingering problems still affecting my browsers, especially IE 7.0?

Also, recently, I've gotten messages from the Java icon on my lower right toolbar that I need to update Java, but I seem to have problems with that. One of the things which I received instructions on during my malware infection was how to update my Java, which was out of date then. I was told out-of-date Java makes one susceptible to infection.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

A couple of questions come to mind:

What Operating System are you using? XP or Vista? What service pack do you have installed?

Are you commited to IE7? Have you tried to un-install IE7 and revert back to IE6? Does IE6 work better?

Are you still having problems with Mozilla? Which version are you using? Have you tried a different version and did it get better? I'M sorry I missed the point that you made about Mozilla improving...Disregard...

It may be to your advantage to update Java and it may help with browsing issues to an extent.

Edited by douglas martin, 15 May 2008 - 11:17 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

Before trying anything try this one as it does no harm, if it did not help there is another solution to try:

To repair problems with update or connection:
  • Download Dial-a-fix from djlizard.net
  • Unzip the file and double-click Dial-a-fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press double green checkmark - "Check all"- to turn everything on.
  • Press "GO" to start processing all checkmarked items.
  • REBOOT your computer afterward, important.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hi RaininginLA,

Sometimes there will be connectivity problems after running Combo Fix.
Your Internet connectivity will get corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries.

Please read Using LSP-Fix to remove Spyware & Hijackers and download the LSP-Fix from it's download location.

LSP-Fix is a utility designed to remove and repair problems associated with a a type of software called a Layered Service Provider, or LSP. LSPs are designed to integrate directly into your TCP/IP layer, the protocol you use to communicate on the Internet, in order to manipulate data that is sent across it. The LSPs are installed in such a way that each LSP in the TCP/IP handler are chained together. If one of these LSPs is removed incorrectly, that chain could become broken, possibly removing your ability to connect to the Internet or a network.
Because you just want to fix a broken chain, click the Finish button, (designated by the green box in Figure 1. of the Tutorial).
LSP-Fix will automatically fix the LSP chain and hopefully restore connectivity back to the network.

Or you can try Winsock2Fix, if that fix didn't work .
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/winsock2fix.php
When you run it, click on ReG-Backup button first to backup the registry, and then click on the Fix button.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 RaininginLA

RaininginLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

Thanks everybody for the responses!

farbar: I ran dial-a-fix, then rebooted as you said. I'm using IE 7 to post this. I haven't had any problems this far. IE hasn't been really slow, or had the freezing problem. I just notice that IE just seems a little "clunkier" than Mozilla, if that makes any sense. It might be because my start page is the LA Times, which has alot of stuff to load. But so far so good. Pretty smooth experience.

Douglas: Sorry, forgot to give my info. I have Windows XP, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. I'm not really committed to IE 7. In fact, I use mostly Mozilla, even before my infections last year (yes, two separate times, my computer got infected). I wouldn't mind reverting back to another version of IE, as long as it wouldn't hamper my ability to navigate, access sites, info, etc. I don't know how to uninstall version 7, and to install version 6. As I mentioned, I seem to be doing okay right now in IE 7, it runs a bit slower than Mozilla. I definitely need to update Java, I think, but when I download the file to my desktop, and then double click on it, it tells me that it doesn't recognize the file, or something to that effect.

TMack, I just read your post. I will definitely run LSP fix, and read the link you gave (since I did run Combo Fix when I was last infected at the direction of the member who helped me). Thanks very much!

#6 RaininginLA

RaininginLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

TMack:

Some problems...

I downloaded LSP Fix to my desktop but when I doubleclick on the icon, it gives me an error message : "Cannot open file. It does not appear to be a valid archive. If you downloaded this file, try downloading it again" I tried downloading it a 2nd time, but had the same problem.

With WinSock2 Fix, when I try to do the ReG-back up first, it goes through but tells me it has an error trying to save each kind of file (Software, Security, Default, System, SAM, some other long named files). It then asks whether I want to continue. I continue through all the error messages, and then tells me that ReG back up is complete (though I think it hasn't backed up). Can I run WinSock 2 Fix without the ReG back up? What would you suggest.

One thing I forgot to mention - something which happens in both IE and Mozilla. They get hung up trying to navigate / process a site, and if I hit refresh maybe once, twice, or even more, they will finally process and move to the new site. Very slow to respond. This happens periodically, not constantly. THough sometimes, it's really bad, and I have to reboot my computer to make the problem go away.

#7 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:03 AM

I personally prefer to do one fix and then go to another fix. This is (IMO) the best way to tackle the problem and to rule out problems one by one and to understand what is wrong. So since LSPFix is suggested (I think it does no harm to run it if it didn't help) lets try that:

Download LSPFix and save to your desktop.
alternate download site
alternate download site
  • Disconnect from the Internet, go to the LSPfix file and extract (unzip) LSP-Fix into its own folder such as C:\lspfix. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure).
  • Open the lspfix folder and double-click on LSPFix.exe to start the program.
  • Check the "I know what I am doing" checkbox.
  • Click "Finish"
  • Reboot.
For instructions with screen shots, see the "Using LSP-Fix Tutorial".

Note:
1. Save LSPfix.zip in a folder instead of desktop, or extract it to a folder.
2. Make sure you extract the zip file not open the file.
3. After running LSPFix.exe note what it indicates (If there is nothing wrong it indicates in green that no problems found. Please note if under Remove window there is anything listed.
3. Very important: Don't do anything other than checking the mentioned box and clicking finished.

Edited by farbar, 17 May 2008 - 04:05 AM.

#8 RaininginLA

RaininginLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:55 PM

Hi Farbar:

The first time, I downloaded the LSP fix to my desktop, without thinking, I ran it from there. When I launched it, the dialog box that came up said No Problems Found in green. Then I clicked "I know what I'm doing" and clicked Finish. Then when I read your directions closely, I did as you instructed. I extracted into a folder. THen I closed the internet, and double-clicked on the icon in the folder on the desktop. The same message came up: No Problems Found. I clicked I know what I'm doing and then Finish. Then I re-booted the computer.

Edited by RaininginLA, 19 May 2008 - 11:56 PM.

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:54 AM

So there should not be a problem with the winsoch. That is now ruled out by applying the tool. (IMO) there is no need to apply Winsoch2Fix.

1. Do you have still problem with the connection. Please describe the problem in detail.

2. You can use Windows File Protection to repair the system files if they are corrupted (this happens sometime as a result of infection or usage of registry cleaners).

Go to Start > Run and type in Run box: sfc /scannow

It launches Windows File Protection. It may takes a while (usually around 20 min for fast computers) to check the integrity of Windows system files and if needed replaces them.
You may need your Windows installation CD.

#10 RaininginLA

RaininginLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for your help!

Two problems I currently have are my ability to update Apple Software for Windows and Java.

I have iTunes and Quicktime installed on my computer. For over a month now, I keep getting a dialog box telling me new software is available for: Apple Software Update for Windows (Version 2.1, 1.99 MB), and iTunes + QuickTime (Version 7.6.2, 66.19 MB). I select both these, go through accepting their terms/conditions/license, then it begins download. It seems to get stuck at the same point ("Downloading 1.10 of 2.0 MB"). It doesn't progress from there, and just gets stuck there. The little circle keeps turning, so I guess it's working. But it doesn't progress. I usually wait a few minutes before canceling.

Regarding Java, I have gotten a message from the icon on the lower right toolbar that I need to update Java. I am totally confused about what I need to do to update Java. There is Java SE, and then version 5 (or 6?), Update 6. In any case, watever I try to download or update gives me an error message. Do I need to remove old versions of Java first. Have no clue... I went to the Java site where you run something to have them verify what version of Java you have, and it just gets hung up processing (the website says that if it doesnt do something in 6-10 seconds, there is a problem). So for sure, I have some problem!

#11 RaininginLA

RaininginLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

Hi

Thought I'd add this. Occasionally, I'm still getting some connectivity problems. The first time I clicked "Add Reply" to post this, I got an error message contained within the Bleeping Computer site. I hit Back, then "Add Reply" again, and was able to connect to this page, where I'm typing this now.

Also, I notice that EVERY time I shut down the computer, before Windows closes, I get the following error message : "MMDiag.exe DLL Initialization failed. The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down."

This last time I did shut down, I also got these error messages repeatedly : "Access violation at address 004B6BE9 in module 'TeaTimer.exe'. Read of address 00000010" AND "Access violation at address 74E50CCZ. Read of address 74E50CC2"

I have to hit okay to move out of these messages.

Also, EVERY time I re-boot or re-start the computer, after Windows opens up, I get this notice from Spybot - Search & Destroy : Value Changed. Entry: ISUSPM Startup in the Category: System Startup Global Entry, Filename ISUSMP.exe, I always click Allow Change.

Not sure these what these mean, or if they're important.

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hi RaininginLA,

MMDiag.exe DLL is a MusicMatch JukeBox component.
Have you recently uninstalled this program? If so, a reinstall/uninstall may fix this problem.

System Startup Global Entry, Filename ISUSPM.exe is listed here in BCs Startup List.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/I...M.exe-2344.html

I hope this little bit of information helps. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

So there should not be a problem with the winsoch. That is now ruled out by applying the tool. (IMO) there is no need to apply Winsoch2Fix.

1. Do you have still problem with the connection. Please describe the problem in detail.

2. You can use Windows File Protection to repair the system files if they are corrupted (this happens sometime as a result of infection or usage of registry cleaners).

Go to Start > Run and type in Run box: sfc /scannow

It launches Windows File Protection. It may takes a while (usually around 20 min for fast computers) to check the integrity of Windows system files and if needed replaces them.
You may need your Windows installation CD.

Did you mange to do the scan I suggested?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users