Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrade From Vista To Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pewter

pewter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

I have recently gotten absolutely sick of Vista and decided that I needed to change to a more reliable OS. While trying to install XP Pro, however, I get the 0x0000008e error and it says "page fault in non-paged area". I googled this and found out it has to do with faulty ram. I tried all my ram and got the same error and then googled it again. I found out that the error can also occur if you don't have proper drivers installed for your HDD. Now I' stuck, I can't find my drivers. I looked at the manufacturer website and found a driver that needs to be copied to a flopp disk but I don't have a floppy drive. My HDD was produced by "Western Digital Corporation" and it's model number is WD2500JS. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Found out that it may be that my motherboard and HDD aren't compatible without a certain driver. I have a t5224 emachines computer, unsure of the motherboard.

Edited by pewter, 14 May 2008 - 09:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

Hi Pewter, and welcome to BleepingComputer,

You will need the drivers for the motherboard which include you audio, video, etc.. Windows will have some of these drivers, but you will need the specific ones for your computer.

What make and model is your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 pewter

pewter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

Sorry, I have an eMachines t5224. I downloaded a bunch of drivers and slipstreamed them into a disc but I couldn't get it to boot off the disc. I can't find XP drivers though, only Vista.

Edited by pewter, 14 May 2008 - 11:31 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:33 AM

This is the issue with downgrading from Vista to XP - if you don't have the proper drivers it's just not gonna work.

I would suggest leaving the slipstreamed drivers out of the mix - they just complicate things within an already complicated process.
Here's a link to the eMachines page for your model: http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...amp;model=T5224

You have a SATA hard drive. As such, with Windows XP, you'll have to load the SATA drivers for Windows XP when the Windows install screen prompts you to "Press F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers". If you don't have a floppy drive, then you'll have to slipstream the SATA drivers (and only them) using this link: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--S...XP-installation

Download the SATA drivers from here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

Please read the "readme" included with both of the downloads so you'll see what you're getting into.

Once that's done, run the XP installation and it should progress without any issues. After that's done, you'll have to download the XP version of your network controller (to get on the web with that system) from here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

Once that's done, post back with the information on the unidentified devices in Device Manager and we'll work from there.

Edited by usasma, 15 May 2008 - 06:35 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 pewter

pewter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

Wow, thank you so much. I thought I was going to be stuck with Vista. I'm at school right now but I'll do all that the second I get home. I'm excited now. Do I need both those drivers or just the Storage Matrix one (the other one says something about Floppy drives, so i don't know).

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

It depends on if you're going to try the floppy or slipstream the drivers - you'll have to extract them somehow (that's why I suggested reading the "readme" files - it'll have info that you'll need after reading the slipstreaming article (or if you use the floppy method))
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 pewter

pewter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

Oh boy, I may have messed up big time. While making a partition for my new OS I accidently made it the active partition without first completing the slipstreamed disc. Now I can't get my computer to boot into Vista, it just says NTLDR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to resart.

EDIT: I have gone on another computer to complete the slipstream disk however when trying to boot it says that I screwed up TXTSETUP.SIF in line 21633, however that is the line where you simply name the driver and I am unable to find anything wrong with it. Any advice?

Edited by pewter, 15 May 2008 - 11:36 PM.

#8 pewter

pewter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:30 AM

I managed to make a slipstreamed disc, many of them in fact, and I either get that error I mentioned above or (in cases where I use nLite) it loads everything as normal and then the drivers still don't work, my hard drive is still invisible. I can't start the computer up until I format it as my new active drive has no OS. I do have full access to another computer, however, so any help that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

#9 pewter

pewter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

Uhhh.... bump?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users