Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Computer To Start Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dragon-slayer

dragon-slayer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

Hey all! New here, so nice to meet everyone.

Now the "good stuff"..........

I have Windows Vista Home Premium. The computer was built last fall and I didn't have a problem until recently. A few weeks ago, I would try to log on, it would start the drivers like it was going to go, but would shut down. When I tried again, I could log on but my desktop would come up and it would shut down. After a few times of this it would eventually let me on, everything fine and running like it should be. This would occur off and on. For the past few days I have tried to log on, but I can only get to the welcome screen to type the password in and it shuts down. I have tried to get into safe mode, but it won't go into that. I have put the disc in and tried to run the repair program but it came up with windows could not find a problem. Thinking it may have been an update problem, I tried to restore point to when it was working fine. This didn't help either.
Since I can't get to the desktop to get online with it, I can't troubleshoot via internet.
What I am getting now is the Windows Error Recovery screen. I can't get any further than this.

I am at a loss here. I don't know a lot about computers and the programming that goes with them.

Any information/help would be greatly apprecated.

As much as I would hate too, I am wondering if I should try to reload Vista on my computer and start all over.

Thanks again.......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

What does it (or doesn't it) do when you attempt to use Safe Mode? Are there any error messages?
What does the Windows Error Recovery screen say? Does it have a "details" link that you can click on? Can you save the files from the "details" link so we can perform an analysis on them (we'd be looking for a file that ends in .dmp)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dragon-slayer

dragon-slayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

When I start safe mode, it runs to the black screen that says loading windows files. at the bottom, it says please wait. the last one says Loaded:\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys and then it is like it locks up. If I let it keep running, it shuts down, and goes back to the recovery screen.

The windows error recovery screen just says that windows has failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: Insert the installation disc and restart computer. Choose language. Click "repair"

If the power was interrupted during start up,.......Has the safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, and start normally.

I have tried each of the choices and nothing gets me past the "welcome screen".

I have tried the "repair your computer" with the disk. nothing I have done seems to work. I am stuck.......

Hope this gives more info......

Thanks for all the time. If you need anymore info, just ask and I will try to get it here. I have a little trouble sometimes with the programming side of computing. :huh:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:20 AM

The most common issue that I've read about with Safe Mode stopping on crcdisk.sys is that there's something plugged into the computer that's preventing the boot - so I'd suggest trying to boot to Safe Mode with everything unplugged from the computer.

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest starting with the basics. Download a bootable hard drive diagnostic (free from the manufacturer of your hard drive) and run the Long test on your hard drive (directions on how to do this should be available on the same web page).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users