Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropping Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 daytonasteve

daytonasteve

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

Not sure if this belongs here or in networking but here goes. I've just completed a clean install of XP pro on a new hard drive. I have three computers on a home netwrok through a Belkin router. My printers are connected to another computer on the network. After a period of time, not sure how long but less than an hour, the offending computer cannot see the other computers on the network. As a result, I cannot print. The other two computers see each other just fine. I can do a restart and the connection gets re initialized but then the connection is dropped. When I try to print the application locks up and I then need to to use task master to stop the program. During these times, I still have internet access.

I have Norton IS 2005 on the offending PC and Norton 2007 on the computer with the printer. If I try to connect to the other computers using windows explorer, things lock and when I x out of explorer, the screen goes black and I have to do a hard restart. Suggestions, ideas as to how to solve this would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:34 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer and see if you can find any errors at the time the connection drops.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users