Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Looks Like Its Starting In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rayandi

rayandi

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

Okay, i am running windows xp, I played game on the computer and when it timed out the screen looked like it was in safe mode. It had all the icons big like it does during safe mode. There is nothing on the screen though that says safe mode. I tried restarting and hitting F8 and it says it is starting normally, not safe mode. So this may be some crazy video card mess up or something but i'm not sure. Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

The first thing to do is to try updating your video drivers. If you don't know how to get them, let us know the exact make and model of your system and we'll see if we can locate them for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rayandi

rayandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

I'm sure this is a dumb question but here goes anyway...Is there a way to find exactly what kind of computer I have? I know its a Dell, but not sure the exact kind of Dell.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

Normally there's a sticker on the case somewhere which will have a product code on it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:15 AM

Use this link to locate your Service Tag number: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...amp;~mode=popup

Then go here and enter the Service Tag number: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=gen

This'll take you to the Downloads page for your system (you may have to select your Operating System from the drop down menu) - and will have your drivers listed there. Dells sometimes come with several different video cards - so if there's more than one driver listed, please let us know the following info:

1) Service Tag number
2) Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then click on the + sign by Display Adapters. Then let us know what the entry under the Display Adapters says (that'll be info about your video card).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rayandi

rayandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

Thank you so much!!
There was more than one driver listed there, so here is the info you requested...
Service tag # 8T91551
and the display adapter listed is...
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

I also noticed on the list of updates that you sent me to that there were quite a few, is there a way to know which ones that I actually should update or should I do them all?
thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users