Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stateham

stateham

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:41 PM

Hello, first time to post on this site and looking for some help.

I have a Proview 22 inch monitor which I use for both my computer and PS3. I used to have an HDMI switcher which I could use to easily switch between what my monitor displayed, the PS3 or my computer, but it stopped showing my computer after switching back from the PS3 so I thought my switcher was broken.

I then tried to just physically switching between the cords and found out the same thing occurred. When I start up my computer, I must have the DVI cable from my graphics card plugged into my monitor from the moment it starts or it will not display. If I start up my computer, unplug the DVI cable from the monitor, and then plug it back in, nothing shows and the light on my monitor shows that it does not see any signal.

Everything used to work perfectly with the HDMI switcher, could easily switch between displays with no loss of quality, but now it appears something has happened with my monitor or with my graphics card. I have the latest drivers from nVidia and for my monitor and have all sleep/hibernation, or anything of the sort, turned completely off.

I'm not a genius but I do know a little bit about computers (I built this one) and this problem has me completely stumped! :thumbsup: Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Monitor - Proview PL2230WDBi 22 Inch
GPU - nVidia 7600 GT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stateham

stateham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

Solved my own problem. nVidia runs a service called NVIDIA Display Driver Service that turns off the DVI port on the GPU once it sees no connection. I disabled this service and immediately my display worked after I unplugged the DVI cord from the back and reconnected it.

Just wanted to let anyone know who experienced the same problem...thanks nVidia :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

All problem-solving feedback is appreciated, thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I never knew about that feature. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer