Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Improve A Games Speed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rugby Fan

Rugby Fan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:05 PM

My kids love to play Motorcross Madness 2 on my Dell Dimension 2400 and I would like to improve its performance. The graphics often 'judder' if you know what I mean?

I've increased the ram significantly from 256 mb - 1.2 GB so is there anything else I can do to increase game performance?

Thanks

RF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

Anything you upgrade will improve gaming performance. The main thing a game needs is video card CPU and RAM. 2G of RAM is the magic number for modern games. More is better, less is worse. But for gaming the video card is the most important. what video card do you have? Is it onboard?

Looks like all you have is PCI slots, maybe you're better off sticking with the onboard video. try updating your video drivers

Edited by smurfgod, 15 May 2008 - 06:16 AM.

#3 Rugby Fan

Rugby Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

Not sure I know where to find that info. In the specifications section of the manual under video controller it says integrated 3D Extreme Graphics.

Does that help?

RF

#4 Beach Plum

Beach Plum

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

Did you check the company forums for PC tweaks? I am not too ambitious that way, though just enough to have this addy, http://www.tweaktown.com/ and fearful reserve (The closest I came to overclocking was dating a tech).

The question you asked involves real dedication, or as smurfgod said, real upgrading.

Oh, let me add, I run Morrowind RPG in a select (and radical) hardware mode, it does improve ram, but as benchmarking may or may not prove, does not improve performance. What the test I am referring to did not account for, is how Windows may degrade game play during those times we are not benchmarking. I am not all that informed, but I do think Windows was not made with cyber motocross in mind. :thumbsup:

And too, I think certain security suites may have got last night's virus as it installed, but I know that they don't catch it all and are way too happy to tell me how great a job they are doing. I did not like one I had and am sure it was a system hog. I use security I can turn off with my modem. That I found an incontestable improvement, and need be more careful of Phishing, and do regular (non nightstick waving variety high competence) scans.

Note to self: check ID theft protection issues.

Edited by Beach Plum, 15 May 2008 - 05:36 PM.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

That game seems fairly basic for computer hardware standards. If thats the only game they like to play, you could probably get a cheap PCI card for your computer which should really help. I looked up the requirements for the game and your processor and ram are much better then whats needed. The thing with integrated graphics is they are just very basic and are used for office computers because it saves some money. I think if you got a card like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102434 you would get much better performance. If you wanted to play newer games though, that card probably wouldn't work very well or at all.

Edited by Sterling14, 15 May 2008 - 05:02 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Beach Plum

Beach Plum

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

This page is lis a nice read with way useful links for XP - Windows Optimization. If you are using that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users