Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Sp3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 boytheracer

boytheracer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

Good evening all.

Had downloaded service pack and was installing when a message came up about where to put a file named **boot.sys so i canclled the install, restarted my computer, it went to a screen saying somthing like restoring system configuration, then we blue screened with the message saying:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unxpectedly with a stats of 0xc0000006 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down

** means i do not recall the first couple of letters

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you all in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:14 PM

Related reading: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms912848.aspx

Louis

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

Hi boytheracer.
Have a read here, it deals with BSOD: BSOD.
I would run some online scans. malware could of cause this.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 boytheracer

boytheracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

Alas im affraid it makes little sense to me

#5 boytheracer

boytheracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

Extremeboy, i cannot get on my computer and am pretty sure it was the service pack, i have spybot, mcafee, spyware blaster, anti-adware and one othe running so i would assume that would be enough protection, though it might not be, whats you opinion???

Thank you for your help

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

I always recommend running chkdsk as a first option whenever there is a boot problem.

If you can get into Safe Mode right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If you can't get into Safe Mode insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hi I would try what Budapest said.
I think that that's enough protection. For the Mcafee is it an anti-virus program? IF it is then your protection is pretty safe. I have basically the same. I use ad-aware,spywareblaster, spybot and AVG anti-virus.
Reply back with any questions or things that happened.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 14 May 2008 - 06:14 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 boytheracer

boytheracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:19 AM

I have tried the last known configuration and nothing, and safe mode leeds me to another blue screen!

I will do what you have said but it will be a couple of days as i will have to get the disk sent to me as i am not at home. I am likely to loose any files?

It is the virus scan and the firewall

Many thanks for all of your help.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

Running chkdsk /r won't (normally) result in any data file loss :thumbsup:. Nor will a repair install of XP.

Louis

#10 boytheracer

boytheracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

I know its been a couple of days but just my my XP disk through the post.

The cd drive i have is external, i dont know if this makes any difference?

I have put the CD in the drive and tried to start windows and the blue screen appears, do i have to press f8 and go in through that way? If so what do i do?

Many thanks

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

You will have to boot from the CD disk that's in your CD drive.
When it boots you will see a blue screen that says something about installing Windows. That's when you'll have to press "R" to get into the Recovery Console.

What make and model computer do you have? What does the recovery CD say on it's face? What I'm trying to figure out is:
1) Can your system boot from an external CD drive
2) Do you have a recovery disk that can boot to the recovery console (not all manufacturer's disks can do this).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users