Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different Kinds Of Speakers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bat5454

Bat5454

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

Can someone please educate a newbie ?

I built my 1st computer, fired it up & (amazingly) it all works.

Using onboard audio for now - on this motherboard:

BIOSTAR A770 A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

I need to get some speakers - not going to be doing any gaming or anything, just wanna listen to some tunes.

Whats the difference between the different kinds of speakers (2.0, 2.1, 5.1)?

& how do I know what kind would work with this motherboard?

thanks
BT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:16 PM

Those numbers represent variables which are sound channels, see [post="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound"]Wiki Reference[/post]

What follows are really gross simplifications:

A 2.1 speaker system employs two speakers and a subwoofer (sub supplies bass tone).

A 5.1 system employs 5 speakers and a subwoofer...or something that sounds like 5 speakers and a subwoofer.

Looking at your soundchip specs on the motherboard, you have 6-channel onboard sound. If you want anything different, all you have to do is buy a soundcard and install it in one of your PCI slots.

[post="http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B00006HYPD?filterBy=addThreeStar"]This[/post] may be more help than I can be :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:16 PM

The first digit is the number of speaker channels, the second (after the .) indicates a subwoofer/effects channel.

So 2.0 is a standard speaker pair, 2.1 is a speaker pair with sub, 5.1 is surround (L & R Front, Centre, L & R Rear, Sub).

If you just want to listen to music, get a good quality 2.1 setup, try to listen to some in action before choosing as different speakers will vary quite a bit in sound.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

Even with a 6 channel sound card you can use 2-6 speakers depending on the model of the onboard chip it will automatically detect what is been plugged in, or you can select the speaker set up in your HD audio settings. Depeding on the volume of the music you listen to a good 2.1 system is reccomended. I have always liked Logitec's. speakers. The higher the power rating of the system the louder they will be. I had a set of the older Z-680's and they were incredible. I will be ordering in a few weeks time a set of the Z-5500s and hooking them up to my DVD player for surround sound.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Bat5454

Bat5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:49 AM

Thanks all - guess I'll be checking out NewEgg for some 2.1's.

BT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users