Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Necessary Is Sp3 For Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

I have a number of programs that may not work with SP3, and I'm sure there are bugs yet to be worked out, so I'm wondering how vital it is to update and how long can you hold off?

As long as they continue to update SP2, I guess? Anyone know how long that will be?

Any problems/issues with *not* updating to SP3 at this time...?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

They will not continue to upgrade SP2
SP2 is an accumulation of 1 and 2
SP1 and SP2 are included in SP3
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

But when will they stop updating SP2? I just checked my Windows Updates and while I had to install a new version of the WGA thing, I had the option of not installing SP3 at this time, and then it offered me critical updates for my current XP (which is SP2). So, as of now, as far as I can tell, they are still updating SP2. Or am I looking at this wrong?

Have all the XP users around here updated to SP3 are are there any others like me who want to hold off as long as possible...?
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Topic pretty much covers it all:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry824914
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

I decided to hold off pro temp with sp3 on MY xp machine

HOWEVER...question then is..how vulnerable will machines withOUT it on be to infection/intrusion ?

as is the case with those who do not have sp2 on board and who are' catching colds' :thumbsup:

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

I decided to hold off pro temp with sp3 on MY xp machine

HOWEVER...question then is..how vulnerable will machines withOUT it on be to infection/intrusion ?

as is the case with those who do not have sp2 on board and who are' catching colds' :flowers:

As long as they keep updating SP2 with Critical Updates, we should be fine, right? Here's hoping! :thumbsup:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

The SP3 addresses security issues, but if you have a good anti virus with current updates and a good firewall you should be alright.

I personally will not install it till later, I've seen so many posts where people have had problems after installing it that I'm leery of it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

The SP3 addresses security issues, but if you have a good anti virus with current updates and a good firewall you should be alright.

I personally will not install it till later, I've seen so many posts where people have had problems after installing it that I'm leery of it.

But they still do critical security updates for SP2, right? So there are other security issues that those don't/won't cover that only SP3 does?

Yeah, I'm waiting until the very last minute... That always seems to be the best policy (just look at AVG 8.0! :thumbsup: )

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

My point exactly, by the way, I use AVG 7.5, and if they can't get the problems sorted with the 8.0 I will change AV when the updates cease for the 7.5.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

going off at a tangent for a mo; I too put the SIMPLE avg8.0 on my XP ; HATE it;messed mup my mailwasher for starters ; uninstalled avg8.0 ;

attempted to reinstall avg7.5 from a good exe ; problem is the 7.5 REFUSES to update properly on there ; I am now thinking TOO of putting something OTHER than avg ON it , when I next update the XP ..........

#11 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

Here are a couple of articles on problems people have had with SP3. Appears to be a conflict with the Symantec (Norton) as well as Avast AV programs.

http://www.scmagazineus.com/Blame-XP-SP3-p...article/110556/

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=13122

DR

#12 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

Me too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I also use Firefox as my primary browser, so I seldom need IE anyway. I'm just on a home computer, all by myself. Others with networks and more sophisticated setups might be in riskier situations, but for myself, I feel perfectly comfortable passing on SP3.

#13 henri999

henri999

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

SP3 is OK though there are reported issues with AMD chipsets.

If you are on automatic updates SP3 won't be pushed at you. Only if you run custom scan do you get SP3 offered. I have now put SP3 on half a dozen machines without any ill-effects. But it does take an hour or so in download - verify download - install time which is a bit tedious if the coffee maker is not working.

I don't think SP3 is any more than a consolidation of previous updates although I am aware that IE7 is still not being used by all XP operators even though it was touted as a critical update. It is not included in SP3 for whatever reason (probably to avoid the 2-hour update curfew) and was offered to me as an option AFTER installing SP3 and re-scanning for available updates. It is so superior to IE6 that everyone should upgrade even if they usually use Firefox.

:thumbsup:

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

Folks get over it. It has nothing to do with what we want. XP-3 is what M/S is going to do....... I have down loaded and installed on my one and only computer. It works well; nothing went wrong. I thought on it and looked at it on many web sights. There are lots of opinions. M/S is calling the shots. I don't want VISTA but Bill does. I like XP-PRO but Bill wants to sell VISTA. Done!

#15 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

Hi,
Just wanted to add something as well. SP3 is not bad however people have trouble with it. Also SP3 has some conflicts with Spyware Doctor. SP3 has not much big difference between SP2. So I would not install it, I did install Sp3 and nothing went wrong as well, It's just a waste of space...LOL There isn't much difference between SP2. This is just my opinon but if you wish to install it feel free.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users