Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chief Illinwek

Chief Illinwek

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

I recently made the mistake of downloading what I thougt was Active X. Since then, I've had various infections. I have Adware and SpyBot. I've updated and run both. I also ran SDFix.

Last night, SpyBot found Virtmonde and Virtmonde.dll. It said that it fixed them. I read one a thread that said even though SpyBot said it fixed the problem it really didn't. So I plan on running VundoFix and ComboFix tonight. Does this sound correct?

After the infection, my screensave is now a bunch of bugs that appear to be chewing away at my screen. This is cute, but not what I want. I change my screensaver, but that did not fix the problem. How can I get rid of this screensaver? Is it doing more than just screen saving? How can I identify what it is and where it is?

I get popup messages from SpyBot saying that it has detected a change in the registry, and asks if I would like to allow or deny. I have been denying. The entry is for SpyBotDeletingB6456. Have you heard of this? There are other names as well, but I don't have them infront of me.

Thanks for your help!

C.I.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Please print out and follow the instructions for using "Vundofix". -- If using Windows Vista be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the 'Fix Vundo' button.
  • After running VundoFix, a text file named vundofix.txt will automatically be saved to the root of the system drive, usually at C:\vundofix.txt.
  • Please copy & paste the contents of that text file into your next reply.
-- If you receive this error: "Run-time error '339': Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid", a new copy and instructions on where to put it can be found here.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Chief Illinwek

Chief Illinwek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

When I got home, I booted my desktop. Spybot automatically started so I let it run. I'm not sure why it started automatically, I usually have to manually start it. Anyway, Spybot found Virtumonde.dll. I fixed it with Spybot.

I then ran Vundofix. It found no issues so I don't have a log to post here.

I then ran MBAM and it found 24 issues. I fixed those and rebooted. Here is the MBAM log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.12

Database version: 751

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 52749

Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 21 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 1

Registry Keys Infected: 9

Registry Values Infected: 2

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 12

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\byXOhHWQ.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Unloaded module successfully.

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88ebbe0b-5ff8-4b84-b043-71a216374a5b} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{88ebbe0b-5ff8-4b84-b043-71a216374a5b} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\byxohhwq (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{88ebbe0b-5ff8-4b84-b043-71a216374a5b} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXE (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mnbwxfan.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nafxwbnm.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\unpqltuc.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cutlqpnu.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\byXOhHWQ.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\blackster.scr (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\byXQJBtr.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nnnlmKaA.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ssqOFVOg.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tuvULDwT.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\ftklhae.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\syowpheg.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

-----
Also after rebooting, I got a pop-up box from Spybot which indicated it found an "important registry entry that has been changed". The entry name was "SpybotDeletingC1031" and the old data is "cmd /C del 'C:\windows\system32\iifgFXN". I just ignored this and turned off the computer. What else should I do?

Thanks very much for your help!!

Edited by Chief Illinwek, 15 May 2008 - 08:36 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

How is your computer running now? Any more reports/signs of infection?

#5 Chief Illinwek

Chief Illinwek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

I'm still getting Spybot messages saying that a registry entry has changed. The category is "System Startup global entry". The change is "Value deleted". The entry is "SpybotDeletingC1031". The old data is "cmd /c del 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\iifgFXN". It is asking to allow or deny change. When I click deny, I get another Spybot pop-up like the previous, but with a different entry and old data.

The second entry is Spybot - Search_Destry and the old data is "C\Program Files\Spybot - Search_Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck. When I denied this one I got a third pop-up with a different entry and old data listed.

When I denied the third one, I did not get any others. Before I was getting about 17.

Is denying the change the correct response?

Other than that, it looks good.

Thanks for your help!!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:16 PM

/autocheck is a command line parameter to start scanning immediately. Read here for more information about the various command line parameters.

Read here for more information about a manual vs a auto scan.

SpybotDeletingC1031 is a RunOnce command to delete iifgFXN which I can find no information on so I suspect it was bad and would have allowed the change.

As long as you use the Teatimer feature you are going to get alerts whenever there is a registry change to the system. If you selected deny change but keep getting the alert, then something is attempting to alter the registry and the pop-up notifications will continue.

TeaTimer alerts which show allowed or denied values are intended to remind you which registry changes are blocked. Spybot-S&D creates logs of TeaTimer's activity and stores them in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ folder. See here. To stop the alerts, follow the instructions in How to Disable TeaTimer.

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users