Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open Command Window Here

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BladeSabre

BladeSabre

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

When I've been using Linux computers, they had an "Open Terminal Here" command:
1) From right-clicking on a folder, it opens one inside that folder.
2) From right-clicking on a blank area, it opens one in the current folder.

On Windows XP Home, I installed the Open Command Window Here PowerToy some time ago. It does the first of these two things. Unfortunately, I usually want the second. I can get round this by remembering to open a command window before I go into the current folder; going up one level, relocating the folder in question, opening a command window, and going back down again; or opening one in a folder below (if that exists), and doing "cd ..". However, this seems to be one of the most-used features on my computer, and after hundreds of times, I start to wish for something faster. Any ideas on how I can get the second thing, or something just as quick to use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hello BladeSabre,

The description of the following program seems to match exactly what you want. I have not downloaded or installed it, so I can't vouch for it.

BackgroundCMD is a command prompt folder background shell extension. It allows you to start a command prompt (an instance of cmd.exe) from within any directory that you're currently browsing.

There are many command prompt shell extensions out there. However, as far as I can tell, none of them allow you to open a console window in the current directory that you're browsing. Most will only allow you to right-click a folder and have the command prompt start in that folder.

http://www.roggel.com/NGNeer/BackgroundCMD/

#3 BladeSabre

BladeSabre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:13 PM

That works nicely, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users