Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 golfnut64

golfnut64

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:17 AM

Hi I have a desktop that had Widows ME & tryed to load XP home in it but it had been used too many times & would not finish the set up Is there any way to do this short of spending $100 bucks to get the new CD Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

but it had been used too many times

what has been used too many times
if you have used your xp home cd once and have registered it once, I dont think you can install it again

however if you are talking about the harddrive being used too much i suggest going to this site and erase your hard drive. Then try re-installing xp.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

or maybe how many licence keys do you have?

I beleive you can reuse a CD but surely you need a unique licence key for each computer's installation as, as I understand it it is the licence key that IS 'the key ' to success; you cannot use the same key on more than ONE computer :thumbsup:

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Quite possibly you mean that you can't activate Windows XP because Microsoft has detected that you have used the product key more than what is alloted...This is not fatal!!! If you get this message just call the 1-800 number for customer support. They will ask you what the problem is and if you are adding this installation on more than one computer. Just explain what you want to do.

If you have used this CD and key to install XP on another computer which is probably the case, if I understand you correctly, you will more than likely have to purchase an additional license in order to have a valid installation. There isn't any other way around it.

You can install and re-install XP on the same machine more than once but again you may be prompted to contact customer support by phone and then explain why you are re-installing ie: replaced hard drive, needed to re-partition, or whatever. They will then give you another key to activate your current installation. I've had to do this a couple of times and it is no big deal.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

Before I close this topic for a violation of the board rules - are you referring to the CD being installed too many times on one computer with the original CD key. Or, is it from being installed on too many computers?

If it's the former, you can call Microsoft using the number in the product activation window.
If it's the latter, I'd suggest that you look elsewhere because that's illegal and won't be condoned here.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users