Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8.0 Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:33 AM

I've been using AVG 7.5 since early this year and have been happy with it. Last week I got a pop-up saying 8.0 was available so I downloaded it and updated it. now every time I boot up I get a reminder to activate the thing and that I am on the trial version????? I just re-downloaded it and the same exact thing happens. and I find that my trial license will expire on 6/8/08??? huh?? does anyone know what to do about this? or will the message go away after 6/8 since I downloaded the FREE version?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

(oh and now I have a red exclamation point showing in the task bar icon. and when I open AVG I am told that the web shield is not activated. and yet when I click on that area to activate, nothing happens. I tried unchecking, then rechecking. nope, nothing works. I'm not as concerned about this as I am about my "free" version not being free....as explained above)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

1. Did you completely uninstall AVG7 before installing 8?
2. Did you do download the file from this location?

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fre...&tag=button

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

1. Did you completely uninstall AVG7 before installing 8?
2. Did you do download the file from this location?

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fre...&tag=button

Regards,
John

1. well.....it uninstalled upon the new reinstall. I just double checked and yep, the older version is gone.
2. nope, didn't download it from there but the link provided with the pop-up: http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download

any other ideas? uninstall and reinstall from the site you linked? or can I try to reinstall from the download.com site? will that hurt anything?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

My thought was that you may have installed the trial or paid-for version by mistake, since all of these are on that page. I would suggest you download from the download.com site (it is recommended by Grisoft), then disconnect from the internet, manually uninstall whatever version you have, and then install the file from download.com.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

My thought was that you may have installed the trial or paid-for version by mistake, since all of these are on that page. I would suggest you download from the download.com site (it is recommended by Grisoft), then disconnect from the internet, manually uninstall whatever version you have, and then install the file from download.com.
Cheers,
John

yep, that worked. and it looked exactly the same until the end. where it asks you to register for their forums. I didn't get that option with the link they provided to upgrade. weird.

another problem solved with the help of you fine folks at bleepingcomputer! thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users