Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Slow. And Im Confused...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:59 AM

Hello. Just to let yall know this is my first post!

Well my problem is that my computer is slow(as the title said). I'm not sure if its a virus or the comp just needs some cleaning up. I know that there are a few posts on slow computers but it leaves me feeling a bit confused(hence the title) as i don't really understand what some of the things mentioned means.

And so, i feel a bit unsure whether or not to go through with the steps as i share this com with my bro and if anything bad happens, I'm in big doo doo.....

What do i mean by confused? Well these are basically words that make my head spin; defragment, safe mode, msconfig and a few other that i can now remember.

So i was hoping for a step by step guide on how to make my com faster with some detailed explanation(hope im not asking for too much, Its just that i dont want anything to go wrong).

Oh yeah and i have ran a few scans, (I use AVG 7.5, spybot search and destroy and Ad-Aware 2007.) But it all came up clean. But i think it may be a virus as i visited a website i have nvr been to the other day(yes yes dumb me, well you cant blame me, i had not yet read "The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".) and all of a sudden the website dint load and my comp hanged for a while. I dont want to go into too much detail as i understand that would require me to go to a different forum. So i hope some one can help me determine which one.

Well thats basically it. Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:11 AM

Maybe you could start by giving us some more information on your slow computer problem:

Is your computer slow all the time or just when doing certain things (like watching a video for example)?
Did you install any new software recently?
Is your hard drive nearly full?

The more information the better.

Also, why don't you try a free online virus scan: Trend Micro HouseCall
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:18 AM

Well its basically slow in loading anything. Anything i click takes quite a while to load. (Songs, programmes, files, etc,etc...). And don't get me started when I on the computer n it boots up. I can go and play a song on my guitar and come back n its still loading. The song is about 4 minutes long.....

Hmm about my hard drive, well in my C drive, there's a total of 29.2 GB.
16.6GB is in use and 12.6GB is free.

In my F drive, total is 45.2GB. 11.2GB is being used and 33.9GB is free.

As for software, i just downloaded some audio software.(You know the kind you use to mix songs n stuff). 2 in fact. Both freeware. One is 13.43 MB and another is 19.80 MB. Its pretty trustworthy websites. Thanks

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

There are a few utilities that you can run to help with your issue of slowness. They are really pretty easy.

Disk Cleanup: Start>My Computer>Right-Click C:>Select Properties>Double-Click Disk CleanUp and let it run. After it is done (it may take a while) you will be prompted as to whether or not you want to remove the files or not (Make sure that there are "X's in the boxes that show items to remove) select OK and you are done.

From there you then Click on the "tools" tab. Cursor Down to De-Fragment button and Click on it. If you haven't done this before Click on the Drive that You want to defragment (usually C:) and then the defragment now button. This may take quite a bit of time (possibly several hours) depending upon how many fragmented files there are on your computer. Just let it run and at the end it will give you a final report.

Doing these two things often will help with computer sluggnishness.

Edited by douglas martin, 15 May 2008 - 11:39 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

Open the Task Manager (right-click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager). Then click the Processors tab. See if you can identify any process that is using a high amount of CPU (apart from the System Idle Process).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

Open the Task Manager (right-click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager). Then click the Processors tab. See if you can identify any process that is using a high amount of CPU (apart from the System Idle Process).

Try that and reply back what you saw. Also lack of Maintenance may cause slow computer. Delete unused programs and Defragment your computer, espically if you haven't done so. You can use the defragment that you have on your computer allready, but i prefer the program defraggler by Pirform ltd. You don't ave to use it but I really like it: Here's the link if you want to download it: http://www.defraggler.com/
Run scandisk/checkdisk in Safe Mode. To run checkdisk go to My computer, right click on the Drive that you are using which is C: most likely. Go to Tools tab and click check now.
I would recommend you download Ccleaner it clears junk and unnessary file on your computer that you don't need. Here's the link: http://www.filehippo.com/download/9941459c...4b6af/download/ It also might be just be malware :thumbsup: I suggust you run some online scans as well.
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

Also use diskcleanup to clear some unnessiary files/folders.
To do this:
start>run>cleanmgr
After a while a box should appear that says how much space you can free on drive C.
then it will say you can use disk clean up to free this much space.
Click ok and the cleaning shall begin, if it asks you are you sure you want to perform these actions click yes. After it finish it will automatically dissapear.
Hope that helps you.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 15 May 2008 - 06:20 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:48 PM

possible you 'found' one of 'em sites that is not 'good' for ones compu'er :thumbsup:

have a go at this scan and see if IT flags up anything?

Superantispyware; guide on how to install and run

If you have not already got a Downloads folder , I suggest you create a new folder in My Documents, and name it Downloads ;

Installing superantispywareSuperantispyware is found here

http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

Download to the Downloads folder the free exe to superantispyware from here

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

you install superantispyware by clicking on the icon in the downloads folder ;
it will launch the installation process;
follow the instructions and I suggest you ask for a default installation ;
ensure it creates a desktop icon for you ;
once the program has been installed it should ask you if you wish to update the program ; say YES

if it does not ask you , you need TO fully update the definitions by opening the program and find the ‘check for updates ‘tab in the bottom left of the menus you see; click on it and it will do the update for you ;
I suggest you ask it to check for updates again once the first update is complete just to be sure

please then reboot your computer ; it is preferable to run the scan in your computers safe mode;

please open this program from the desktop icon
please run the scan while you are OFF line and do not have the computer doing any other work while the scan runs

go to the preferences tab on the right
on the General tab I suggest you disable the scan on start up

on the Hijack protection tab I suggest you tick BOTH items; this enables the program to give you a Hijack home page alert if your home page gets changes ; if you DO get a home page hijack, when you boot up the computer superantispyware will open and tell you the home page has changed and will ask you if this is a legitimate change;

in statistics/logs- go to the bottom and you will see two boxes asking about keeping a log of scanning results and saving empty logs?

Tick both of them

Then go back to the main screen and see the tab that says scan your computer? Do you see that ?

Click on it

A screen will open ;on the left hand side ensure your FIXED drive ( most probably the C drive) is ticked;
Also tick in there any other section that is used and attached .
On the right had side you see three scanning options?; please click the Complete scan option

OK; you are now set to scan

Please then click on the ‘next’ tab and let the scan run please run the scan while you are OFF line and do not have the computer doing any other work while the scan runs

From my experience running this program the complete full scan CAN take many hours to run depending on how much is on your computer so be patient and let it run; maybe go for a cuppa or watch a favourite program while this one runs

Once the scan IS complete you will be presented with a box telling you what the scan has found ( if anything); if harmful objects have been found click on the OK button ; on the next screen all the harmful objects should have a check mark beside them, ; click ‘next’

A notification should appear that

‘quarantine and removal is complete’

click ‘ok’
and then the Finish button to get returned to the main menu

If you have run the scan in computers safe mode you will need to reboot to computer normal mode

If you have run in computer’s normal mode I suggest you reboot to enable the ‘fix’ the program has performed to consolidate

You then need to retrieve the scan result

Open the program and return to the statistics /logs section ; locate the most recent log ; left mouse click on it to highlight it and click the ‘view log’ tab

The log should appear in maybe note pad ; you need to copy and paste that log for examination
Once you have posted the log please close the superantispyware program

#8 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:37 AM

Hey ppl thx for the replies. Will do the scans and report back.

Oh yeah and one more thing. Other than the fact that my com may be slow cause of a virus, i was also looking at ways to improve my coms speed. I found a few things and compiled them in a document. i was wondering if anyone could take a look at it, filter it(things i shouldt do) and tell me about it. I was also wondering if anyone could tell me wat these meant:
a)Defragment
b)safe mode
c)msconfig
d)registry

Oh yeah and other better tips for making my com faster is definitely welcome!

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Attached Files

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:15 AM

I'm not totally sure what you are asking here but I will attempt to give you basic explanations.

a. Defragment- Your files, programs, and operating system is stored on your hard drive. Over time and use, programs and
files become fragmented because of the way windows works. Adding and removing programs, moving files
and downloading of objects to your computer cause constant shifting of files on your hard drive to make
room for these things to happen. By running the De-Fragment program, you are allowing windows to sort
through this mess and straighten it out causing windows to be more efficient.
b. Safe Mode- When you start windows, tap F8 on your key board continuously until a screen opens up. It will be black with
white text. Cursor down to Safe Mode and press Enter. Windows will now open with the minimum of drivers
and services. Safe Mode is primarily used for advanced operations such as system restoration and other
operations such as spy-ware removal and diagnostic functions.
c. msconfig- Press Start>Run> type msconfig>OK...A new window will open up with several tabs such as general, system,
boot, startup and others. It is used primarily for troubleshooting system problems. For instance if you are
having problems with start-up's you can click on that tab...A window will open up with programs that are run
at start-up. By un-checking these programs one at a time and restarting windows you can find out which
programs are giving you problems. Msconfig should not be used to control star-up programs in normal
Windows Operation.
d.registry- Follow this link for an explanation of what registry is. I FULLY RECOMMEND that you leave registry entries
alone unless you know exactly what you are doing. If you make some bad decisions editing registry keys
you do serious damage to your computer's operating system and make it nothing more useful than an
expensive DOORSTOP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_registry

If these answers aren't what you are looking for try and be more specific. BTW, I looked through your document and agree that implementing those things will help with your computers health and speed. I don't agree with using msconfig to control
start-ups though. There are other programs that do a much more efficient job.

#10 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hey Dude!

Thanks for the explanation.

About the de-fragmenting, i was talking to some of my buddies and a few of them told me that de-fragmenting my com is not gonna make a difference. Is that true? and will defragmenting change any thing in my computer(settings, programs, files, folders,etc,etc)anything at all.

Oh yeah and you also said,"Msconfig should not be used to control star-up programs in normal Windows Operation."(sorry im not sure how to use the quote thing). What did ya mean by that? Cause i was a reading a few articles and they said that by using msconfig>startup and by disabling anything you, dont really need to start up when you on your com, your computers boot up time will be faster. So im wondering now what to do...

Oh, yeah and concerning the file u read, if ya dont mind, could ya maybe filter through and add some of your own stuff, and take out whats not necessay and give it to me step by step. Cause theres quite a bit of stuff there,(i basically copied and pasted the info)cause im kinda lost as to wat to do, so yeah.

And could u give me some examples of "other programs that do a good job". Stuff thats is free(everyones favorite word
: D)

Thanks!

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

This is sounding more and more like a "homework assignment" but here goes...

Using the De-fragment Utility WILL NOT change any of your settings, programs, or files...It simply puts them in order and allows Windows to run more smoothly allowing quicker access to those files and programs because your hard drive isn't searching from one end of it to the other for them. Read this article and tell your "Buddies"....If you use this utility regularly it will definitely help improve your computer's performance.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/the-importance-of-disk-defragmentation/

Msconfig CAN be used for managing start-up's but as I mentioned there are other programs that do a better job. Read this article. There is a link for a download of "AutoRuns" which is much better for controlling start-up programs. Also in this article you will find information on which programs you need at start-up and others that you NEVER need. There are also several free spy-ware and anti-virus programs that will allow you to control programs at start-up. Just do a "google search" for free downloads, pick out one or two and find one that works for you...Then use it!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

As far as your document goes, I really don't have the time to re-write it for you...You need to do some of the work for yourself.

#12 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hey man, THANK YOU!

and sorry for being a pain in the @$$!

it was purely unintentional. :thumbsup:

#13 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

Now if you are really serious about turning your machine into a "hot rod" there are other things that you can do. Consider the following:

Download this program and run it. It will tell you several things about your computer. What you are really interested in most would be RAM (Random Access Memory). This program will tell you how much RAM your computer can support and how much it has. You may be able to add more RAM and that will definitely speed things up. Additional RAM Modules are relatively cheap. I just bought an additional 128mb module for my computer and it cost me $13.00. Newer and larger modules will cost more but for my old laptop 128mb filled it up to capacity and it has never fun faster.

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Next consider doing a fresh install of Windows...If you have an XP CD with a valid license this is the way to go. Before you do this there are a few things to consider though...SIW (program that you downloaded earlier) will tell you information about your hard drive...What you are looking for here is if it is a SATA drive you may need to download the drivers from the manufacturer to a floppy disk before hand or even better slipstream them to a CD along with XP...Another thing to do before hand is to go into BIOS and make sure that you change the boot settings to allow the computer to boot from your CD/DVD drive...

Now you are ready to go...Load the XP CD into the tray and start the machine...Follow the prompts...If you need to load third party (SATA) drivers press F6 and go from there (if you slipstreamed them to an XP CD you may not have to do this step). Once you get into the main set up area you will be asked if you want to do a repair of a previous installation or a fresh installation...Choose to do a new installation...Follow the prompts from here on...Make a decision on whether or not to create more than one partition...I recommend that you choose more than one...I like three...You will then calculate the size of the partitions in mega-bytes...For Example if you want to create a partition of 20GB it will be 20480mb (20x1024=20480)...Then create the second and so on until you use up all of the available space on your hard drive...You will then be asked what partition you want windows installed on...C is the best choice...Formatting will start and then the loading process will start. It may take about 45 minutes to complete.

Now you have a fresh clean install of XP on a partition by itself. You can then format the other partitions (one at a time). Now when you are downloading music files, pictures, or games you can save them to one of the other partitions instead of clogging up your C: partition...XP will run much better that way. Your O/S will be alone closest to the end of the drive.
Keep your anti-virus programs on this drive also. Defragment your new installation on a regular basis and it will stay as good as new...Maybe even better...

#14 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hey ppl! I've been doing a few things for my com. I used kaspersky to scan my comp. it showed a one or two trojans. but i couldt remove them cause i needed kaspersky anti-virus. but i could only get the trial one and my bro(who uses the same com) has downloaded the trial version b4. further more i spotted an area were they said there was a virus. so i scaned that place with avg and nothing came up! disappointing. Not to forget the fact that i PAID for this AVG version.....

but anyway i deleted that file and so i hope it is gone. but to my bad luck my comp froze and i lost that report so i couldt look at wat else is infected... :thumbsup: so any idea on how to get back that report, and/or what to do.

Thanks!

Edited by Arrow92, 18 May 2008 - 12:04 PM.

#15 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:41 AM

Okay People, NEWSFLASH!

I just ran the kaspersky online scanner one more time and it seems that my come has two kinds of trojans.
a)Trojan.Win32.Monder.gen
b)Trojan-Downloader.WMA.Wimad.n

So i guess that this post has to be moved. So how can any one help me with moving this post. And also how to fix this prob. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users