Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Psw Trojans

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sinobob

sinobob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

Hi Two computers at my school were infected with (at least!) Win32/PSW.OnLineGames.NFL. Removal proved difficult but finally 'Combofix' seems to have done the job. Any advice on a suitable program to prevent re-infection? We have NOD32 installed and I'm thinking of adding Spybot. Anyone know if either of these can block such trojans or recommend another program that will?

Edit: Moved topic from AFPPPM to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

With that said, no single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

NOD32 is an excellent choice. I use it myself. I would recommend SUPERAntiSpyware Free instead of Spybot S&D.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
"IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings".

Also see BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps and List of Virus & Malware Resources.

Edited by quietman7, 14 May 2008 - 09:48 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users