Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Save Space On D Drive Or Memory Drive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noamericano

noamericano

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

on my xp it says that my memory is low and it only has like 0.99gb left and i was wondering how i can get more free space?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

Do you mean your computer is low in RAM or low in hard drive space?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:47 PM

If this is the free space left on you hard drive you are going to have to transfer or delete some of that information. You need 15% free space for swap space on the hard drive. You can store files on CDs or DVDs to gain some free space.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 noamericano

noamericano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

i think im talking about ram.....cause my d drive just has around 4gb in total and i can't even get into it, it gives me a warning cause its my recovery partition so i can't transfer stuff. will a degragment of drive d help?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:54 PM

If it's a recovery partition then you should probably leave it alone.

What is the exact error message you are getting and what are you doing when you get it?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 noamericano

noamericano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

um i kinda forgot word for word but the bottom left hand corner in the sidebar thingy a yellow triangle sign icon was there and said something about to little memory (i think) and said it was going to make more room and wen im doing stuff it may affect it will it's doing that. then it just went away

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:46 AM

Please look in the Event Viewer to see what errors are showing up at the time that you had this message. The errors listed by the date and time.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

Be sure that you choose System.

The error will appear in the far left column and will appear as a red dot with a white X inside. Each of the columns has a title at the top of them, the column that you want is the Event column. When you see an error follow it to the right across the page to the event column, there will be a set of numbers in there, this is the error code. If you right click on the error code a drop menu will appear, click on Properties, another page will open which will contain a description of the error.

Please post the error codes and descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:14 AM

I may be way off here but from what you are describing your problem may be "virtual memory". You may be able to increase your minimum page file size and cause the symptoms to improve. Most likely Windows is installed on your "C" drive (most systems are). By your description "D" is a recovery partition and should be left alone. Many XP installations use partitions to manage disc space. You need to check the amount of free space on your "C" drive. If it is almost full you can do a few things to fix the problem. You can burn photos, music files, data files to CD's or DVD's. You can purchase an external hard drive to store files and programs. You can remove programs that you rarely use (a lot of us that have been using our computers for a few years will accumulate several programs that we may have used only one or twice)...Get rid of them...

Here is a link for the adjustment of "virtual memory in XP"...Give it a try...It may fix your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users