Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kesselrunner12

kesselrunner12

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

Hi I wondering if I build a new computer can I use the old HD from my old computer and keep all the stuff on it? I have a three year old athalon xp box which is the main reason why I want to upgrade.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

The registry has plug and play IDs that it recognizes for the chipset of the old motherboard, and when you introduce the hdd to a new motherboard/chipset it will see these new IDs and become confused. This usually is going to result in you having to reinstall the operating system.

This article explains it in detail.

Your best bet is to back up all of the files that you wish to save to a removable media like CDs, DVDs, or flash drives, wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

The registry has plug and play IDs that it recognizes for the chipset of the old motherboard, and when you introduce the hdd to a new motherboard/chipset it will see these new IDs and become confused. This usually is going to result in you having to reinstall the operating system.

This article explains it in detail.

Your best bet is to back up all of the files that you wish to save to a removable media like CDs, DVDs, or flash drives, wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system.

Really? =/ Ive jumped the same hard drive with some important files over 7 computers without any driver issues or chipset issues.

Then again I'm a really big fan of clean installs.

I learn something new everyday. My say in it would be try it, what could it hurt? (But then again dc3 might tell me why not to)

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 14 May 2008 - 09:24 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

The first time that I tried this I had problems immediately, and after the fourth reboot the OS was toast. The fact that Intel would address this issue certainly gives it merit. But for them to provide a link to an article by Microsoft on this subject in their own article adds credence. The old saying, if one person tells you that you're a horses putoot...think about it. If two tell you the same...buy a saddle.

I suppose that nothing eventured nothing gained can apply, but I would most certainly not count on the gods smiling on you. Some chipset may be close enough that you might get away with this, but as diverse as they are becoming now I wouldn't take the chance. Back up all of the files that you wish to save as a precaution, you should do this regularly anyway.

Just curious here xXAlphaXx, did you read the article?

Edited by dc3, 14 May 2008 - 10:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kesselrunner12

kesselrunner12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the article, dc3. My disc is 200 gigabytes with only about 70 being used and I wanted to re-use it in some way when I build a new computer. I have seen internal hard drive enclosures that allow you to use an old hard drive externally on a different computer using a usb connection. Do you know anything about how these work?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

That would work, I know that a lot of people use external hdds to back up their files. If the BIOS of your motherboard support it you can even boot a OS from an external hdd. The problem that I see a lot of is USB ports that for no simple reason seem to not want to work and require some fine tuning. Why not just back up the files that you wish to keep and reinstall the OS? Then you could install it directly to the motherboard.

#7 kesselrunner12

kesselrunner12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

Really the reason is that my computer came with windows xp already installed and I don't have any way that I know of of re-installing it. I don't want to go buy Vista because I want to try to hold out for windows 7, but my old single core athalon is really needing a rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users