Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files Lost To Encryption On Re-install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

Hi Anyone,

I really hope that someone can help out with this.

I had to re-install Vista because of OS software problems only I forgot that I encrypted "My Documents". Needless to say I can't access the encrypted "My Documents" from the previously installed Vista.

Does anyone know a way to access these encrypted files?

These are very important business and financial files.

So, I really will appreciate any help here.

John :huh:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hi Again,

I still haven't found a way to access my encrypted files from a previous Vista instillation.

If anyone has any familiarity with this subject any suggestions would be helpful. Any programs and/or services free or other wise that you know of?

These are very important files to me that I need for work and personal life. I would hate to lose them sense I've put a lot of time to to making them and I use them all the time.

So, anyone having any understanding that may help out here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John :huh:
John

Albert Einstein.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hi John

Depending on how you reinstalled Vista will determine whether or not you might be able to recover your files.

If you did a wipe and fresh install much of your wanted files will have been over written in the process.
Plus you will have lost the Vista encryption certificate needed in the recovery process.
(I'm guessing you did not back up your files or the certificate either.)

There are some companies you could send your hard drive to for a chance at some partial recovery, but this costs in the thousands of dollars without any guarantees.
Every time you use that computer you are over writing old material.

You might read this article which explains how to Rescue Encrypted Files With Windows Vista (Possibly) if you can still see the files and can find the certificate.

I wish you luck.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

Hi Koan Yorel,

Thanks for the link. That would probably work if I hadn't already deleted everything from th previous instillation of Vista, i.e., I don't have any files to even begin to look into for the encryption code and what not.

I kept the "My Documents" but nothing else.

Thanks anyhow, unless you know of anything for some having been as dumb as me for deleted everything before finding what I need.

John

Edited by Johnz414, 22 May 2008 - 01:57 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users