Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Or Malware? No Idea

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tr3nt

Tr3nt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

know of a few problems that have come up. which are Win32:Adware-gen [Adw], Win32:Homles [Trj], and Win32:Rootkit-gen [rtk]. i am unable to delete with Avast. I had other malware but deleted most with Malwarebytes. Have also used my Avast virus scanner to try to delete virus. I also used Smitfraudfix to fix some other problems i had. and now i dont know where to start to try to get rid of this stuff thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

These may be a false positive is your Avast running the latest virus detection update? If not Update and scan again.
Please submit these files here Jotti's malware scan and post back their results.
If Avast is the only antivirus to detect the chances are that it is either anew virus or a false posstive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

Win32:Adware-gen [Adw], Win32:Homles [Trj], and Win32:Rootkit-gen [rtk] are vendor provided names for the malware threat. Do you know the specific file name and full path (location) for each?

RejZoR, avast! Evangelist at the avast forum posted these instructions for suspected FP's.

If you encounter alert for which you think that it's a false positive, do the following:

Check the file with this service:
http://virusscan.jotti.org
http://www.virustotal.com

- if file is detected by any other antivirus too (like Kaspersky), than its most probably not a false positive. Treat it with caution.
- false positive files are usually detected as: Win32:Trojan-Gen
(this usually happens because of generic detection)
- if scan still shows that only avast! detects the file, then it could be a virus detected only by avast!. If you think that it's still a false positive,then follow the next step:

Pack the "infected" file into ZIP archive and lock it with password "virus" (without quotes) and attach it to e-mail.
Write the same password inside mail body, so Alwil virus analysts will know the password right away without guessing.
You can also add web address to that file (or webpage of the file/program) if it's on the internet.
Add your own note on why do you think that it's a false positive. Every info helps Alwil staff.
Send the mail to: virus@avast.com

You'll probably get a reply mail about file info (if it was really a false positve) after some time.
If not, check the file with Explorer extension when new VPS is released.
This way you'll know if the false positive was fixed.

Until then, you can add the "false positive" file into exclusions:...

avast forum: how to treat false positives
avast forum: Tutorial For False detection
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users