Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Howdy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 abalove

abalove

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:48 PM

I got a call from my neighbor the other day who said her computer is "not working." I told her I may be able to help since I have been in the IT industry for a few years. Upon looking at her computer (Windows XP Home Edition, no service pack, w/ high speed Internet), I immediately recognized the problem was malware. I have never seen a computer infested with so much garbage as this one had, and it was virtually unusable. After updating to the latest mcafee dat files, scanning for viruses, downloading and running spybot and ad-aware (which is all I have ever needed to do), I thought she'd be back in business. Boy was I wrong. Pop-ups and what looked like browser re-directs were still rampant. Not knowing where to turn to next, I started searching the Internet to look up suspicious processes that were still running on her computer and were in the "Run" key in the registry. Thankfully, my searches directed me to bleepingcomputer.com, where I found out about HJT and loads of other information that I didn't know existed. I have spent hours working on this computer, and I think I have most of it cleaned up, but I'm excited that I found this website, which I suspect will help me completely clean up my neighbor's computer.

Thanks for a wonderful web resource!

Aaron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:31 PM

Glad it all worked out! If you run into any other problems feel free to ask about them n the other forums

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:52 AM

It is always satisfying to know that BC was a help to someone, since that is what this place is all about. There are several articles in the Tutorial section that you might want to print out and give to your friend that would prevent further problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users