Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In The Market For A New High End Gaming Pc, Need Opinions.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ozymandias90

Ozymandias90

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hey there!
As a reward from my parents, they offered to buy me a new high end gaming computer! So, since you are all so knowledgable, I figured I'd come and let you decide what I should choose.
Before I list my choices, I should tell you that I collect Extreme Gaming PCs.
Here's what i have (these are in my profile too):
A home built computer (2006).
A Dell Dimension 4700 (2004) w/ upgrades (2007)
A Falcon Northwest Fragbook TLX (2007)
A Fully loaded Voodoo Omen (2008)(Check profile for specs, its pretty sweet.)
Anyway, I bought the first two, and the second two were gifts as well. They said it couldn't cost more the Omen (US$12,000). So Here are what i'm leaning towards, though any other suggestions are much appreciated. I'm not so interested in building my own, because I rather enjoy premade behemoths of computer.

1. HP Blackbird 002 LCi: This is my top choice, its just so damn sexy.
Processor: Quad Core - Intel® Core2™ Extreme Quad-Core 3.0GHz QX9650
Memory: 4 GB 1066MHz CORSAIR PC2-8500 DDR2 SDRAM SLI Ready
Motherboard: EVGA nForce™ 780i
GPU: Dual NVIDIA GeForce 8800 ULTRA, with 768MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
Storage: Dual 1TB 7200 rpm SATA

2.Maingear Ephex Skull Trail: Second choice.
Processor: Dual Intel QX9775 Core 2 Extreme QUAD CORE Processors
Memory: 8GB 800MHz FB-DIMM Memory
Motherboard: Intel D5400XS SKULLTRAIL Motherboard
GPU:2x NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9800 GX2's 2GB GDDR3 in Quad-SLI
Storage: Four Western Digital Caviar SE16 1TB 7200RPM 16MB Cache - SATA II

3. Vigor Colossus: Least Favorite. Head to this site, because I'm too lazy to type all the info by hand. Just add all the most expensive/best add ons.
http://www.vigorgaming.com/product/config_colossuscl.html

Whats the call guys? If you have a better suggestion, let me know please, I want the best.
And no Alienware. I don't like them.
Thanks!
Ozy

Edited by Ozymandias90, 13 May 2008 - 04:14 PM.

Look Upon My Works Ye Mighty, and Despair!
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core QX9650 3.0Ghz~EVGA 780i Motherboard~4GB Corsair PC8500C5D DDR2~Four Hitachi 1000GB 32MB 7200RPM~Two NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB Liquid Cooled~1100W Modular Power Supply~Voodoo OMEN Aluminium Chassis w/ Signature Ancient Forest Paint

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

First off you must have really nice parents :thumbsup: .

Anyway, I didn't even really look at those other computers you sent, but I really like the blackbird. I remember reading a review about it and it is just amazing. The insides are so neat and tidy and those parts are pretty much the best you can get. I believe the 8800 Ultra is still the best graphics card (even better then the 9800GX2, but not by much). If I had that much money to spend on a computer and didn't want to build it myself, I would go with the Blackbird.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:06 AM

I cant believe you got a $12,000 computer!!!
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:56 AM

Tell yah the truth you can probably get all the parts internally and externally if you look around the 'net for it and its much cheaper.

But if you don't trust your self when gutting a computer id say go for the blackbird.

If you are a gamer !!STAY AWAY FROM LAPTOPS!!

More and more intense games will come out and will increase the hardware requirements. You cannot upgrade the video card on laptops. If you find a laptop that you can go for it. I heard alienware successfully SLIed a laptop once but im thinking its two onboard SLI though hybrid witch still isnt upgradeable.

That and laptops are meanies :thumbsup: They overheat a lot easier than desktops and theirs no way usually you can put extra cooling in.

That and if your laptop gets older, they could have the problem that mine had, the jack that was soldered tot he motherboard was coming loose and the battery was fried. d-e-a-d fried and I didn't want to spend 200$ on a new battery.

Desktops have just about infinite possibilities when it comes to upgrading.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Ozymandias90

Ozymandias90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

Tell yah the truth you can probably get all the parts internally and externally if you look around the 'net for it and its much cheaper.

But if you don't trust your self when gutting a computer id say go for the blackbird.

It's not that i don't trust myself, I just don't feel like putting in the effort as long as I don't have to worry about price.
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core QX9650 3.0Ghz~EVGA 780i Motherboard~4GB Corsair PC8500C5D DDR2~Four Hitachi 1000GB 32MB 7200RPM~Two NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB Liquid Cooled~1100W Modular Power Supply~Voodoo OMEN Aluminium Chassis w/ Signature Ancient Forest Paint

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:14 AM

The go for the blackbird.

Enjoy :thumbsup: (For better gaming you might want to pick up a copy of Windows XP but thats just my opinion.)
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 Ozymandias90

Ozymandias90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:48 PM

I like Vista better than i ever liked XP.
I've never had problems since i got it on the release date.
But i understand lots of people dislike it what with compatibility issues and all.
But the blackbird is a decent enough computer to run it so i don't mind.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

I'd go for your second choice, the Maingear. Excellent support, better hardware, and very helpful. If you get the Ephex, go for the blue flames paint job with water cooling and internal LCD's, it looks amazing. I have one of their PC's and it runs great, no problems. All of the PC's you selected look very high end and should last a while, but you're probably going to be spending $8,000 or more.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users