Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Internet Access For One Computer In Net

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lastchance

lastchance

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

Using Comcast broadband with a DELL desktop (XP) and a Sony laptop (Vista Home). Suddenly lost internet access on DELL. Sony is OK. DELL can ping everything else on the LAN, but DELL IE will not connect to internet net.

Microsoft TUN Miniport Adapter (not working and uninstallable) have anything to do with this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Two things come to mind:

a. Check for connection status (My Network Places, click on View Network Connections...tell us what network connections are reflected and status of each).

b. Check Device Manager for indications that network adapter needs drivers installed.

Re MS TUN miniport, http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet...iniport-ad.aspx

I think I saw this once on my system and did just what was suggested in the link. The fact that there are at least 2 TCP/IP alternatives is a bit confusing when enabling protocols. Version 6 is not the one which needs to be enabled.

Protocols can be viewed/changed by right-clicking on Properties for the connection.

Louis

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

How is it that you are connecting the Dell machine to your LAN?
Are you hardlined in over Ethernet?
Are you connecting via Wireless LAN (WLAN card)?

We need to know that information first. That will determine which connection object in the Network Connections applet we should be focusing on. My first reaction would be to look at the Network Connections applet by doing the following:

Start >> Control Panel >> Network Connections

You should probably see a connection object which is giving you a Yellow icon with a White "!". That is probably the suspect connection object / device. From within the Network Connections applet, you can right-click the connection object and select Status. There should be a Support tab with a Details radio button (or some combination of tab and buttons to that effect), which can show you more information about how the IP configuraiton is assigned to the Dell machine.

You can also gather this information from the CLI via Command Prompt (if you are so inclined):

Start >> Run >> cmd.exe >> [Enter] >> ipconfig /all >> [Enter]

I would do the same steps on the Sony machine since you know that it is having no connectivity issues on your LAN. Compare the information between the two systems and you should notice some discrepancies between the IP address, DHCP server, DNS server, etc.

Post back if you require further instruction.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 lastchance

lastchance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Turned out it was some glitch with Norton 360. I uninstalled using Norton's downloaded uninstaller, reinstalled and now OK. Thanks again.

cp

#5 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:59 PM

I have heard of more than one issue from different users with Norton 360 disabling network connections at worst. In other instances, i have heard from users that Norton 360 is simply a resource hog and just slows down any functional network connections.

In the end, they end up uninstalling Norton 360 altogether and going with a different AntiVirus / Malware strategy because of so many issues specifically with Norton 360.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users