Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apparent Second Harddisk / Ide Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 abanerji

abanerji

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

My PC configuration : Pentium dual core, Intel E2160 1.6 GHz on Intel D945GCNL, DDR2 1 GB, Seagate SATA 7200 RPM 160 GB, Sony CD-DVD combo, XP-pro SP2 fully patched, AVG free 7.5, AVG AS 7.5. Additionally, I put a second hard disk from an old Compaq PC - this is a Seagate Barracuda 40 GB 7200 RPM ultra-ATA/100 bought nearly three years ago.
System is just two months old, and was going smooth.

Yesterday, shutdown took a long time, and today boot was very long. The harddisk indicator is continually on. I am attaching a file containing the relevant rows from event viewer.

Shall be grateful for advice. Thanks,

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:48 PM

Your Event Viewer log shows a number of hard disk errors, the one denoting bad block may be significant.

First suggestion: Check all connections for any drives attached, as loose connections can generate drive errors.

Second suggestion: Disconnect the secondary drive (which is not the one exhibiting errors)...and then run chkdsk /r on the boot drive.

Since your system boots: Start/Run...type in chkdsk /r (exactly as shown), hit OK. A new screen comes up, Yes, you want it to run at next boot...type Y, hit enter. Reboot and let it run to completion, it should reboot when finished.

The hard disk light may be on because chkdsk is running in the background or the system needs to be defragged...just guessing.

After chkdsk runs on the boot drive, I would reattach the second drive and run chkdsk /r on it. This can be done by just going to My Computer, right-clicking on the drive, Properties/Tools tab/Error-checking now, put check marks to select both scan and recover options, click Start.

Keep an eye on Event Viewer. If there are any other errors relating to a hard drive...it may be time to back up/move data files.

Louis

#3 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:24 AM

Louis, thanks for your good advice. Just one query : you say that "... the secondary drive (which is not the one exhibiting errors) ...". But, my second hard disk (D:) is the one which disappeared from the system.

Also, why did my Sony DVD RW also disappear from the system, along with my second hard disk? I am not a techie, so sorry if this sounds silly ... something to do with IDE?

Thanks again,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:43 PM

Take a look at the disks referenced for those errors.

Your boot hard drive is ordinarily Disk 0 or Disk 1, while all other drives have succeeding numbers. I cannot view your file right now because I don't have Excel installed, even though I own a version of Excel...but take a look.

One of the reasons I suggested disconnecting the second drive...is to facilitate finding out what drive those errors are pointing to. If a drive is disconnected and you get errors...it's not that drive.

The errors noted could be referencing your DVD drive...it all depends on how you have them set up.

Solving situations like these..is merely a matter of eliminating suspects...it doesn't really matter what order this is done in, as long as you can decidedly think that "this is not the problem." Connecting drives one at a time facilitates that.

As for why Drive A might disappear because Drive B might be bad...I have no answer for the Why, I only know that it can happen. Which is why connections would be the first thing I check.

You don't have to apologize for asking good questions :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

Thank you. Whenever I am in trouble, I post my woes in this nice forum ... have always found help.

I will have to get a technician to poke inside the cabinet. But, prior knowledge helps me in meaningful interaction with the person.

#6 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

Thought of updating. Last weekend, I got a technician to poke inside the cabinet, and it seems my second drive (which thankfully contained only backups ... I am a bit paranoid about data, and have several versions) has crashed. He felt that the old IDE HD may have had a speed compatibility issue with the relatively new CPU/mobo.
The DVD-RW is recognised by the system now, and so far, event viewer log shows clean.

A curiosity ..... was the technician's comment "... the old IDE HD may have had a speed compatibility issue with the relatively new CPU/mobo ..." right?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

In the original post you said the drives were 7200rpm. What does he want you to do, buy a 10,000rpm drive? Yes you could go with another interface but it should be fine. Especially if you're just using it to back up
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users