Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Freezes On A Blank Screen After User Log On Selection.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt67

Matt67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

Hi there everyone.

My first post having been recommended to your site by friends.

A (1 year old)Packard Bell PC, running XP home to service pack 2 level, has suddenly become inoperable as having reached the user log on screen and selecting a user, the screen goes a 'pink' blank and it is impossible to go any further. I have tried rebooting in 'safe mode' but in this case, rather than a 'pink' screen I just get a black one with the literal 'safe mode' at the top. I have also attempted to restore 'last known good configuration', but this was also futile.

The only thing that seems to work on the pink screen is Alt+Cont+del which shows that an anti-virus utility (Kaspersky) is running. However it appears that this software licence expired on 4/4/08.

I am concerned that a virus was contracted following this date and this is causing the problem. However since I can't get to the Start Menu, I am unable to access the internet and clean the computer.

No install disk is available.

Obviously a number of questions spring to mind.

1. Has anyone come across anything similar?
2. Is my diagnosis a possibility?
3. Is any other 'XP' problem a likely candidate?
4. What would you recommend as my next step.

The user in this case has a lot of documents that ideally they would be loathe to lose (yes, they didn't do a regular back-up!!)

Regards and thanks in anticipation.

Matt67

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

You can always remove the hard drive...install it in another system as a subordinate, non-boot drive...and scan it, run various commands on it (chkdsk /r for one)...as you wish.

If going that route, make sure that the jumpers on all drives connected to same cable...reflect either Master/Slave settings or Cable Select settings. Both drive must be either both CS or employ Master/Slave, no mixing of CS and M/S.

Louis

#3 Matt67

Matt67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

Problem solved.

Sometimes it takes a jolt to remind me of the obvious.

I used F11 on start up and performed a partial recovery, returning machine to delivery state. All documents were preserved and I then re-installed all 'new' software, internet connection and anti-virus software.

Thanks for the input.

Regards

Matt

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

Nice self-help :thumbsup:, happy computing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users