Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton not playing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:22 AM

Hi, I have Norton Internet Securituy 2002 running with Windows XP. for the last month when I connect to live update, all goes well at first /everything starts downloading, then suddenly a box comes up saying, LU 1806 unable to install any of the selected updates. I have clicked the help button, but that should be changed to the none help button for the use it is. I have been to the Symantec web site to try and get help, but just go round in circles. I did notice that the NIS download updates has now got to 24,748 kb, rather large for my 56k dail up. My subscription is due at the end of the month, is it a load of bother to change to another security service, would I have to remove the original NIS file first, :thumbsup: Hope to hear from you soon. Clank.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronniebebe

Ronniebebe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

:thumbsup: Norton is not so good a program as it use to be .I read a lot of complaints of it not catching viruses and updates not coming through.If you contract is up why not take the program out and install a free one there just as goo or better than a paid program. I use Avast myself and have installed Avast on other computers for other people and they seem to like the program.Avast has automatic updates so you have no worries about missing any.. You can find it here : http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html You can read about the program here and at the bottom of page theres a download spot you just click on to and it do the job for you. Good luck Ron. :flowers:
If you not to sure theres a lot of experts around here someone else will comment also so your not alone.
WWS

#3 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:53 PM

Thanks Ron,
( I like your picture your like me except Iam younger, thiner, more hair, but retired !!!) have downloaded that anti viruse you said it great, the things I had before were Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet security, thats two things does the web site you gave me cover the above two. Thanks for your last reply, look forward too your next reply, regards Clank :thumbsup:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

clank - make sure you uninstall Norton Internet Security before installing Avast so that you only have one installed anti-virus program in your system.

I'd look for some reviews of anti-virus programs on the net and get a broader view of peoples reactions to the free anti-virus software. I'm not a fan of Norton Internet Security because i think it tries to be all things to all people and ends up incomprehensible to the average user. Norton Anti-Virus however is (as far as I'm aware) still one of best AV programs out there.

Edited by Rimmer, 08 April 2005 - 08:53 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for all your help :thumbsup: I eventually downloaded the free antivirus and then un enstalled it and went back to Norton, a strange thing happened it allowed me to download all the updates, and now Iam up to date and everything is working fine, thanks again all off you, for your helped. thats what friends are for. Clank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users