Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Partition Of An External Usb Disk Not Found By Windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RDN

RDN

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:42 AM

I have a 500 GB USB disk partitioned into 3 drives. They are labelled F:, G: and H:, but in "My Computer", I can see only F: and H:.

Below is a picture of the Disk Management window.

The first partition of USB disk 'Disk 1' should be "Multimedia, Downloads (G: )" but now it has no drive letter displayed. When I right click on that partition, Disk Management displays merely "Help", there are no other options like "Change Drive Letter and Paths" or "Properties".

Posted Image

I have an identical drive which I use as a backup of the first one and is not normally connected to the system. When I connect it and power it up, the Disk Management window is as shown below.

Posted Image

It looks like the drive that should be drive J: (the first partition of USB disk 'Disk 2'), is given the drive letter "G:". Normally, this drive is labelled "Copy of G: (J: )".

I note that the drive missing from "My Computer" (the drive labelled "Multimedia, Downloads") is indicated as "EISA Configuration". I don't know what this means, but I don't think it should be there.

So does anyone know what I can do to get this partition and drive accessible to Windows? Any help gratefully received as I have a lot of personal photographs on that drive that I have not yet backed up. :thumbsup:

Edited by RDN, 13 May 2008 - 07:45 AM.

Windows XP Pro (fully updated), Firefox 1.0.7, Acer Travelmate 4603WLMi: Intel Pentium M 750, 768 MB DDR2 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCI Express 128 MB VRAM, DVD, Bluetooth.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:57 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

My guess is that you are going to have to delete that partition and reformat/create it.

From what I read, EISA partitions are supposed to be small support tools used by some boxmakers (like Dell).

[post="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242168"]MS Info Re EISA[/post]

From http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums.../m/293003589731 :

"Caution If Windows XP Professional recognizes an OEM partition, Disk Management displays the partition as Healthy (EISA Configuration). You cannot use Disk Management to format, delete, assign drive letters or drive paths to, or access data on Healthy (EISA Configuration) partitions. However, you can use DiskPart to delete OEM partitions by using the delete partition command and specifying the override parameter. Deleting an OEM partition can prevent Windows XP Professional from starting.

Here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn.../c28621675.mspx

You can run diskpart from the command line within XP or 2003 and you should be able to delete it from there."

Louis

#3 RDN

RDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the info hamluis.

Do you think there is any utility that might get this drive visible to Windows? What happened was I accidentally removed the USB cable to the drive while I was running "chkdsk" on it.
Windows XP Pro (fully updated), Firefox 1.0.7, Acer Travelmate 4603WLMi: Intel Pentium M 750, 768 MB DDR2 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCI Express 128 MB VRAM, DVD, Bluetooth.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

I don't know...but I don't think so.

As I understand it, EISA partitions are designed to be "hidden" from Windows (My Computer/Explorer) because they are just support mechanisms. As such, you cannot format them from within Windows any more than you could format an NTFS partition from Win 98.

I understand your desire to save files on that partition...the best that I can suggest would be to try a reccovery program and hope for the best. One I can suggest is Quetek's File Scavenger, more info on it can be seen by Googling.

My experience is that...once something goes wrong with creating a partition, there is no "fix" other than deletion/recreation.

Louis

#5 RDN

RDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

I don't know...but I don't think so.

As I understand it, EISA partitions are designed to be "hidden" from Windows (My Computer/Explorer) because they are just support mechanisms. As such, you cannot format them from within Windows any more than you could format an NTFS partition from Win 98.

I understand your desire to save files on that partition...the best that I can suggest would be to try a reccovery program and hope for the best. One I can suggest is Quetek's File Scavenger, more info on it can be seen by Googling.

My experience is that...once something goes wrong with creating a partition, there is no "fix" other than deletion/recreation.

Louis

Thanks again hamluis. I'll do a Google on that prog now. Info much appreciated.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

Easily done...let us know how you progress :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 RDN

RDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

Easily done...let us know how you progress :thumbsup:.

Louis

It's been quite a while since I posted here about the problem, as I've been working hard on the problem at another forum.

If I remember correctly, the tool 'Quetek's File Scavenger' didn't help because it needed a mounted partition to work on. It has been quite a time since I tried it, so that reason may not be correct.

The tools that I did use were TestDisk and FindAndMount. You can read all about it here.

I couldn't get the faulty partition to be recognised by Windows, but FindAndMount allowed me to mount it and copy all my recent data - the data not already backed up - onto my backup drive. That was quite a relief.

I couldn't even delete the faulty partition using Windows "Disk Management", but I used "TestDisk" to reset the disk's partition table to all zeroes. Then the disk was seen by Windows as all unallocated space which I could then partition, and to which I could copy back all my data.

Overall, it has taken me two weeks to sort the problem out and get my disk back to normal without any loss of data.

I hope others will find this information useful.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

You did what had to done :thumbsup: and you learned a lot (albeit painfully).

Thanks for posting your feedback, you know where we are now :huh:.

Louis

#9 RDN

RDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for posting your feedback, you know where we are now :thumbsup:.

Louis

No problem Louis - hopefully anyone else who messes up their hard drive the same way I did will search the internet and find this thread. :huh:

Cheers,

RDN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users