Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:31 AM

My computer appears to be running perfectly normal apart from the fact
that whenever I try to restore a partition, clone a drive or attempt
do a clean install, it will not boot and I get the message saying, error
loading operating system. It can't be the hard drives because it
happens even with my brand new hard drive. If the drive I'm using
boots perfectly and I clone it to another drive, surely they are both
exactly the same. So why will the newly cloned drive not boot?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

Because the new drive isn't exactly the same as the old one (even "identical" drives aren't the same).
But, I don't think that this relates directly to your problem (since a clean install wouldn't suffer from this issue).

Could you describe what you're trying to do in a bit more detail so we can start troubleshooting it at the appropriate level?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:39 AM

A newly cloned drive may not boot under various circumstances.

IMO, lack of a proper boot.ini file is the most likely cause.

What software are you using to create these cloned drives/partitions?

Are you removing the previous drive and replacing it with the clones?

Are you attempting this with only the cloned partition/drive installed on the system...and the boot order reflecting the hard drive as the primary boot option?

If you attach one of these cloned drives as a secondary drive...with the original drive as the primary...can you see a boot.ini file in the files for the second/cloned install?

Louis

#4 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for your response to my problem. I'll try to answer all your questions.
For some years I have been successfully using Acronis True Image to either create and restore images of partitions, or to do a complete clone of my drives. Naturally I remove the old drive after cloning. This problem only began after my PSU blew and I had to replace it. At first I would get either a NTLDR missing, or error loading OS messages on all my hard drives, but they would all boot if I had the Windows installation CD in the drive. Then my main drive started booting normally. I also found I could do a clean install on one of my old hard drives. However, since then I have not been able to restore any images, clone drives or do any clean installs without getting the error loading OS message. Not wanting to take any chances with the two drives that are booting normally, and thinking it could be a drive problem, I purchased a new Seagate drive. This drive comes with it's own Acronis True Image program. I could not do a clean install on this drive either, so I tried both restoring images to it and doing a clone of both my drives to it. I tried doing this using both my original True Image program and the one that came with the new drive. No such luck. I am now wondering if there was anything in the BIOS that could be causing this to happen.

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

Something I forgot to mention, all my drives are SATA. Although having a spare IDE drive I did try and got the same the same happen with that one too.

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:19 AM

A newly cloned drive may not boot under various circumstances.

IMO, lack of a proper boot.ini file is the most likely cause.

What software are you using to create these cloned drives/partitions?

Are you removing the previous drive and replacing it with the clones?

Are you attempting this with only the cloned partition/drive installed on the system...and the boot order reflecting the hard drive as the primary boot option?

If you attach one of these cloned drives as a secondary drive...with the original drive as the primary...can you see a boot.ini file in the files for the second/cloned install?

Louis

Hi Louis

No I haven't checked to see if the boot.ini was present in the cloned drive. The thought never occurred to me. I will do another clone and let you know. I presume your talking about the files in WINDOWS\pss folder.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

Well...if you created images which don't reflect a SATA driver for XP...they probably won't boot when attempted to be inserted as replacements...unless the images were made from an original SATA drive (which would mirror the clones in already having the SATA driver installed for the XP install to see).

I'm not sure the reverse would be true (if you mixed PATA and SATA drives in your cloning), but that error message seems to make sense to me (if I'm comprehending the possibilities correctly).

XP will not install on a SATA drive unless it sees that driver present. XP cannot install on something it doesn't see/recognize and it's only set up to recognize PATA drives without any additional drivers being inserted into the XP install.

What I might try is a repair install of one of these clones...with insertion of the SATA driver at the proper point in the repair install process. That should work, if I'm understanding properly.

Louis

#8 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Well...if you created images which don't reflect a SATA driver for XP...they probably won't boot when attempted to be inserted as replacements...unless the images were made from an original SATA drive (which would mirror the clones in already having the SATA driver installed for the XP install to see).

I'm not sure the reverse would be true (if you mixed PATA and SATA drives in your cloning), but that error message seems to make sense to me (if I'm comprehending the possibilities correctly).

XP will not install on a SATA drive unless it sees that driver present. XP cannot install on something it doesn't see/recognize and it's only set up to recognize PATA drives without any additional drivers being inserted into the XP install.

What I might try is a repair install of one of these clones...with insertion of the SATA driver at the proper point in the repair install process. That should work, if I'm understanding properly.

Louis

Hi again Louis

No, that's not the problem. I have no PATA drives, just SATA, and like I said earlier, I have been restoring images and cloning these drives for some years now. Plus if XP did not recognise the drive it would not ask me which partition I want to install on. Nor would it be able to write files to it before rebooting which is when I get the error loading OS message.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:09 AM

It seems that there's 2 issues here:
1) That you cannot do a clean install on a hard drive. Have you used the F6 key (when prompted) to install the SATA drivers for your motherboard?

2) Your disk images won't boot - either due to NTLDR errors or error loading OS errors. This suggests to me that either the MBR or the boot sector of the disk are corrupted. I'd think that running "fixmbr" and "fixboot" from the Recovery Console would fix this. If this doesn't fix this, then it's usually that the partition table is hosed (fixmbr doesn't repair this part of the MBR) and a 3rd party utility would be required to repair it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users