Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rebellady

rebellady

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:35 PM

Hello i am in need of help.
Computer was running find yesterday, i restarted and now the computer will not go past windows prompt screen. if you pick last knowen good conf. it shows that it is booting then goes right back to prompt screen. try in safe mode and it gets hung, and will not boot. once today i was able to get the pc to load. oncw restarted it went right back to loading only to prompt screen. someone please HELP !!!! this pc is my only source of communication with family far away.
thanks in advance!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:45 PM

Hello rebellady and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 rebellady

rebellady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:29 AM

I would love to be able to even get that far as to be able to run that.
I was playing around with it a bit last night and tryed again to start in safe mode. this is what happened ... it got stuck at
multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

so than i restarted it and pressed f8 i disabled restart and got a blue screen that says
the registry cannot load the hive(file)\systemroot\system32\config\software
beginning dump of physical memory blah blah blah

i would just put my xp disk in and try that but due to moving many times the disk has been lost. is there any other way i can get this file i need . i really don't care if i lose all of what was saved on my puter, i don't keep anything on there i am afraid to lose. I just need my puter back up and running. I do have access to my boyfriends computer if there is somewhere i can download something that will fix this problem. please please help !!
thank you in advance

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

[post="http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html"]Info on mup.sys Errors[/post]

More basic info at http://www.file.net/process/mup.sys.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2008 - 02:52 PM.

#5 rebellady

rebellady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

Thank You Louis !! i read what i saw but still no clue on how i can get this problem fixed .... any other idea's ? I'm thinking at this point a a baseball bat will fix it....lol... Open for suggestions PLEASE !!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

I would probably do a repair install of XP...if you have your valid license, you can borrow an XP CD or use a burned copy of one, provided that the version (XP Home or XP Pro) is the same as the version which you have licensed.

Hmm...before I did that, I would try running chkdsk /r, as suggested by Budapest.

Louis

#7 rebellady

rebellady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

I tryed running chkdsk /r ... maybe i did it wrong cause it kept telling me AUTOCHK.EXE could not be locatedin either startup directory ot the CDROM drive ... if someone would be nice enought to walk me through the whole process to make sure i am doing it right i am compleatly willing to try once again. Also i have made called to all i know around here and seems noone has a xp disk .... imagain that ... just my luck i did find the 6 floppys to DL on the microsoft site and used them to get into the recovery console... right now it's my only way. Would there be a way to slave my HD on to my boyfriends and copy the files i need or at least solve the problem ?
willing to try anything at this point

Edited by rebellady, 14 May 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

To run chkdsk /r from the recovery console, follow these steps:

1. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
2. Choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. Dothis by entering 1 in the prompted area.
3. When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password. If there is no administrator password, press ENTER.
4. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
5. When chkdsk finishes, type EXIT, hit ENTER, and the system should reboot (if possible).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2008 - 06:45 PM.

#9 rebellady

rebellady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Thank you for all the fast replys. one reson i love this forum. After much reading and many tries.... my puter is up and running once again.!!! :thumbsup: i will be starting a new topic considering my mother is now having issue with her 1910 model relic. ( she don't like change)
Once again Thanks a million for the suggestions. will post tomorrow with her problem.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:10 AM

Nice going, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users