Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lordoftheweb

Lordoftheweb

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

Alrighty. I am attempting to frankenstein together my old computer and get it to work. So far, I pulled it all apart and cleaned it all out and put it all back together. Looks like its ok as i can get into the Bios by pressing F1. I can also change the boot sequence by pressing F12. And i can get a menu if i press F8 that asks a bunch of options like do i want to boot into the last known good configuration, etc.
So far so good.

Now i have attempted to reinstall windows with the recovery disks, both on the hard drive that came with the computer, and also with the an old hard drive that my little brother gave me. Both hard drives, after numerous attempts, and with complete formatting involved, run good, go through the installation, and then at the end give me an error. This is the exact message i get, which after getting, i can go no further.

System Setup Log-(C:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log)

ERROR: Installation failed: E:\1386\asms.

Error Message: The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal Error: One of the components that WINDOWS needs to continue setup could not be installed. The parameter is incorrect.

I pulled both drives and put them into an external case and hitched em to my laptop and used paragon to completely format them. I also tried to use a different cd drive, but its old too so i am unsure if this made any difference.

The computer I am trying to get to work is an IBM Pentium 4, 2000 mhz processor, 1 gb ram, ati all in wonder 9800 pro video card. The hard drive is a seagate 40 gb. The extra hd is a fujijitsu 30 gb hard drive. The 40 gb drive has a small portion partitioned that is set aside by ibm that holds the installation files for the operating system. I purchased the computer directly from ibm in october of 2001. Until recently it was humming along with no problems. Then i went downstairs one day and it was just not working (black screen). After numerous attempts to reinstall windows, the above message occured. And nothing else can be done.

The recovery disks are directly from IBM and are for XP home, and do not include the SP 2 (for sure) and i dont believe SP 1 (as I got them in 2001).

I googled this error, but all solutions are only achievable if you can get to regedit.....which i cant edit from the BIOS (unless there is a way and i just don't know about it).

Can anyone help me here? I would love to get my old workhorse back on track. Then I would have an xp computer again.
Thanks!
Desktop:HP Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, 2.66 GHZ, 4 GB Ram, 1000 GB HD, 2-250 GB external WD HD, 1-500 GB external WD HD, 1-1 TB Trekstor external HD, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT Graphics Card, HP 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor, Viewsonic 19" Monitor, Linksys WRT 350N 2.4 GHZ Wireless router, Logitech Webcam, Logitech Surround Sound Speakers 5.1, Brother MFC210C Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier, Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse and HP Cordless Keyboard, Windows Vista 64x Home Premium.
Laptop: Toshiba Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHZ, 2 GB Ram, 200 GB HD, NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 256 DDR Graphics Card, 17" Monitor, Optical Drives Super Multi Double Layer DVD +/-, HP Photosmart C3180 Printer/Scanner/Copier, Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse, Windows Vista Home Premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:30 PM

You will need the installation disc, not the recovery disk to do a installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lordoftheweb

Lordoftheweb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

Is there no other way to fix this? I never got an installation disk. :thumbsup:
Desktop:HP Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, 2.66 GHZ, 4 GB Ram, 1000 GB HD, 2-250 GB external WD HD, 1-500 GB external WD HD, 1-1 TB Trekstor external HD, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT Graphics Card, HP 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor, Viewsonic 19" Monitor, Linksys WRT 350N 2.4 GHZ Wireless router, Logitech Webcam, Logitech Surround Sound Speakers 5.1, Brother MFC210C Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier, Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse and HP Cordless Keyboard, Windows Vista 64x Home Premium.
Laptop: Toshiba Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHZ, 2 GB Ram, 200 GB HD, NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 256 DDR Graphics Card, 17" Monitor, Optical Drives Super Multi Double Layer DVD +/-, HP Photosmart C3180 Printer/Scanner/Copier, Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse, Windows Vista Home Premium.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

You could call the manufacturer of your computer and see if the will send you the installation discs, they may want a small fee for shipping. This depends on the manufacturer, I recently had very good support with Dell. You may need the Certificate of Authentication, depending on the make and model it will usually be found somewhere either on the exterior of the case, or even inside of the case.

Edited by dc3, 13 May 2008 - 12:06 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Lordoftheweb

Lordoftheweb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:38 AM

I guess I could try that. I am not very computer savy, and its been a long time since I bought the computer. I got it on through a woman i used to work with at another job, and her husband was an ibm employee and could get discounts and such. Its been a great system (which ive updated a few things over the years) and i hate to not get it fixed.

Is there a reason why my recovery cds wont work? I thought that this was exactly what the purpose of them was.

And could i just use another set of xp home cds (my mother in law has xp home still in the box that she never used) and just use my key to set it up? And the Cert of Auth. is right on the side with the key, so no problem with that.

Thanks for your help thus far. :thumbsup:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

You could use another installation disk, you will need the product code. The problem is going to be the drivers that you will need for the motherboard for audio, video...

#7 Lordoftheweb

Lordoftheweb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:49 AM

Oh, I never thought about that.....I will have to see what I come up with. :thumbsup:

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

From what I've seen and read, most i386\asms errors are caused by a problem with the CD (either dirty, scratched, or deteriorated with age). Try a disk cleaner on the disks and see if that helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users