Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning Dust With A Vacum & Post Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jason7533

Jason7533

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

I opened up my PC last night and it was loaded with dust. So much that blowing it out really wasn't working well. I read a few posts elsewhere, and about 70% said it's ok to use a vacuum, and 30% said don't do it. I decided to give it a shot. It starts up fine and works for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, then it locks up. I can only cut the power from here, as nothing else has worked once it locks up. The PC is about 5 years old, and has worked with no problems up until this point. Guess I should of just left the dust in there. Any suggestions on what I can do without taking it in? As I mentioned, it's fairly old, so I don't know that it would be worth paying someone to look at it. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

Using a vacuum risks electrostatic discharge damage, plus it doesn't do a complete job. I'll bet you still have dust lodged in the fins of the heatsink. Read our tutorial here
Cleaning PC Interior
Also make sure you didn't knock any wires loose
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Using a vacuum in the proper way can be a good tool, the problem is that it draws particles through the tube fast enough to generate electrostatic discharges. The problem is that all it takes is getting the nozzle too close to a sensitive component to discharge this charge and take out a IC.

Have you looked in the Event viewer to see what errors are showing up at the times that this is happening? Each error has its own date and time, so you can look for the specific time that this is happening.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

Be sure that you choose System.

The error will appear in the far left column and will appear as a red dot with a white X inside. Each of the columns has a title at the top of them, the column that you want is the Event column. When you see an error follow it to the right across the page to the event column, there will be a set of numbers in there, this is the error code. If you right click on the error code a drop menu will appear, click on Properties, another page will open which will contain a description of the error.

Please post the error codes and descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:37 PM

and please remember next time, use high pressure forced air.

Edited by TMacK, 12 May 2008 - 11:43 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:57 PM

and please remember next time, use high pressure forced air.

Canned inert air is ok for this application, a compressor with high pressure is not. A compressor can generate electrostatic dischages, if it doesn't have a dry filter system it can also spray the computer with moisture.

Edited by TMacK, 12 May 2008 - 11:38 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:22 AM

and if you do use canned air hold the can upright and use short bursts like it says on the can. a glove ain't such a bad idea either those suckers get cold lol

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

I'll go with what garmanma said, "I'll bet you still have dust lodged in the fins of the heatsink."

Been there. Done that.

I thought my heat sink and fan was cleaned pretty good, using canned air and a soft fine brush, until I took my case to the kitchen table under some good light. The fins were clogged nearly 100% with sticky goo. I took the fan off and used fine tweezers to gently pull it out. Then I followed with alcohol on Q-tips and tissues to clean off as much of the oily residue I could get to on the fan blades and the heat sink.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

Once a year I remove the fan from the heatsink. I have a special paint brush that I use to clean the fins. I also use a "fin comb". HVAC techs use them to clean the fins on outdoor condensers for AC units. I realize people aren't going to run out and try to find one. What works that's similar are the pick-combs people use with curly hair. The ones with metal teeth
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Jason7533

Jason7533
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

I took the advice to blow it out again, and made sure that I didn't knock anything loose. It's been working with no problems for the past few days. I might have knocked my video card loose. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users