Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Wireless Assistant

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 miramiboca88

miramiboca88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

Hi,
I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 and have recently come back home from being away from college where i connected to the internet with an ethernet cable and can't get my house's wireless internet to work on my computer. Before I had the HP wireless assitant pop up and tell me about which connections were available when I went home but now I couldn't even find the hp wireless assistant on my computer so i went on HP.com and got the device downloaded from a different computer and burned it on to a disk and put it on my laptop but the only way i know that the wireless assistant is on my computer is by using the search utility and when i try to run it a message pops up and says: This utility is used to adjust Wireless Devices State (ON or OFF). Wireless devices must be enabled in windows device manager, F10 Computer Setup and Wireless button before state can be successfully changed. Command Line parameters: Wireless <Device> <State> where Device=[Bluetooth | WirelessLAN | WWAN | All] State = [on | off]

I tried switching the wireless button on the keyboard but its light shows that it is disabled no matter which direction i switch it to. The wireless internet works perfectly on the other computers in my house and has in the past worked well on my laptop. I tried running a repair on the program.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Locate your wireless device, which is probably under Network Adapters. Right-click on it and select Enable.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Locate your wireless device, which is probably under Network Adapters. Right-click on it and select Enable.

I would try that too. Do you have any firewalls installed recently?
If that doesn' work try reseting your wireless routor or pull it out and then plugging it back in and see if that works.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 12 May 2008 - 06:35 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 miramiboca88

miramiboca88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

My device manager doesn't show my wireless adapter...and I don't think that it's my router because other computers in my house have been getting a perfect connection.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

If it's onboard, the wireless device probably has a BIOS setting to disable/enable it.

You might want to check the BIOS settings and ensure that it is enabled now.

Louis

#6 miramiboca88

miramiboca88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

it seems that this is actually a common problem with several hp laptops and am having it sent to hp for free to get fixed, thanks for the help!

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

Glad that we were able to help you :thumbsup:

Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 noamericano

noamericano

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

lol buddy i have the same problem as you, and as we talk. HP should be repairing my laptop right now. you can try fixing this by updating the bios and all that, it works for some people but most other people can't get it to work and HP said it was a problem with the motherboard so there is no way to fix this on your own. only way to fix it is sending it in and i can see your doing that so, expect this to take around 2 weeks all together

#9 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

My device manager doesn't show my wireless adapter...and I don't think that it's my router because other computers in my house have been getting a perfect connection.

If your wireless device is enabled and thge network adapter is not shown, it is possible that the driver has been unloaded as well as the Windows network adapter it uses. I ran into this two weeks ago on a guests computer.

#10 iggyspoon

iggyspoon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:12 AM

So, the HP DV6353 notebook I've had for the past year just lost its wifi connection as described in the top post. No matter what position my wifi switch is in, the light always shows orange (off). The strange thing that this stopped working spontaneously. My notebook has two XPs (dual boot) and the wifi stopped working on both operating systems at once. This leads me to believe that something either happened to the bios or to the actual hardware. I've tried updating the wifi driver and flashing a newer bios to no avail.

I'm currently in the Czech Republic for the next month and a half and dealing with HP support will be difficult/impossible.

Question:
The network adapters I have installed are: 1394 Net Adapter and Nvidia nForce Network Controller. Which of these is the wifi adapter? The 1394? Neither of them?

Anyone have any more ideas I could try? Or any info on the source of the problem?

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:07 AM

Read this:

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/datastore/detailre...urveynumber=244

I would try and download new drivers for the other network controller as this is probably the one giving you the problem. Just do a google or yahoo search for the Nvidia nForce Network Controller and it should bring up hits on where to download.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users