Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Start Menu, Taskbar, No Start Button

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MJSWEAR

MJSWEAR

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hi, I am very limited to my knowledge of computers and how to fix the problems. If anyone can give me any advice about my computer I would very much appreciate it. I turned my computer on about a week ago, it froze up, I restarted it and was missing my taskbar and my files where opened in a separate window. Nothing simple works. The obvious things do not work. I have no start button. It will not do anything. If I go into control panel, cannot open it from there. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

Try doing a System Restore back to before you experienced this problem.

Windows XP System Restore Guide
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 MJSWEAR

MJSWEAR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:33 PM

Yes I did that, thanks! It didn't work.I think I have a deeper issue somewhere.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Restore Taskbar and Start Menu - #117 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg/.vbs file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry/run the script. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users