Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrators Rights Denied

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 katnip

katnip

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:45 PM

Hello All!

I have just registered on this website, but have lurked Bleeping Computer and have found a fix by using the "search" function. This time I'm totally in the dark.

I have a problem that IBM or AT&T DSL cannot help me with. On my IBM R51e Laptop I have been getting denied administrator's rights. I bought this laptop on Ebay a couple of years ago and it was still under warranty. Running some of my programs, ie 'photography'. I am denied access.

I have sent this PC to IBM about 3 times. It has been unsuccessful in getting this problems resolve, I have ran countless system restores on it to no avail. IBM said that this laptop was originally issued to a corporation and that I should contact who I had purchased it from.

Then I tried to get help with my AT&T DSL because I'm once again denied the privilege to download browser, anti-virus, etc. Now AT&T throws me back to IBM. I purchased an extended warranty with IBM, a glitch on their end, it's good until the year 2013. (I know I'll be dead or this laptop will be.)

I have a desktop PC as well and made sure that the Computer Management on the Administrators Tools of Local Users and Groups are set correctly. I'm running Windows XP Pro that was pre-installed in the IBM Laptop R51e.

I have gone to START > RUN and typed in "cmp" then ENTER typed in the "net user" on the Command Prompt to see if I could locate something in my HKEYS. No luck!

I'm like a cat chasing its tail. As I have stated, I have lurked this forum for many years due to other problems, and had them resolved with a click here and there.

I'm in hopes that someone may have the fix for me.

Regards,
Kat

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Startup Programs Database to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

It sounds to me as if you are still running the original install of XP on this system...which, in itself, may be the problem.

That would seem to be the basis of the IBM recommendation that you contact the original owners from whom you purchased the drive.

A clean install of XP would eliminate all previous permissions, files, etc. which pertain to the original owners.

Do you have XP install and system driver CDs? Do you have a valid license for the XP install currently installed? Have you contacted IBM about the possibility of getting restore CDs?

Louis

#3 katnip

katnip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

It sounds to me as if you are still running the original install of XP on this system...which, in itself, may be the problem.

That would seem to be the basis of the IBM recommendation that you contact the original owners from whom you purchased the drive.

A clean install of XP would eliminate all previous permissions, files, etc. which pertain to the original owners.

Do you have XP install and system driver CDs? Do you have a valid license for the XP install currently installed? Have you contacted IBM about the possibility of getting restore CDs?

Louis

Hi Louis,

My version of Windows XP Pro was an install directly from IBM. I do have a set of 6 disk to do a recovery and restore, also do have a valid license for the Windows XP.

I have done so many restores back to manufacturer's default and various hits and misses. No luck.

There is noway that I can locate the previous owner that I purchased this laptop from. The laptop runs well, but I'm limited as to what I can do on it.

I appreciate your reply, do you by chance have any other tips that may help me with this problem?

Sincerely,
Kat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users