Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smiley.com

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cannybody22

cannybody22

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:18 AM

A very security concious friend recomended this programme of animated figures to me and I downloaded it from www.smiley.com.My computer went haywire and I was unable to send attachments with e-mails or access some of my programmes.After a lot of work in other directions to no avail including trying to use system restore(which told me that it couldn't restore to a previous time as there had been no changes made) I updated Spybot and ran it.There were 85 fun web spies on my computer which had been totally clean days before since I regulally run spybot,ad aware and my anti virus.
When I instructed Spybot to remove the spies it removed all but 15 and it told me it could only remove the remainder ,if I gave it permission to start with boot up ,which I did.The whole smiley programme dis sappeared and my computer returned to normal.
I am quite dissapointed in Spyware Blaster (which I also haveon my computer)for letting these pests through.
Has anyone else had this trouble?
Cannybody22

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:38 AM

Smileys, cursors, games and screensavers are the four worst things you can download to your computer. Games from reputable websites like RealArcade (although that can be intrusive), Shockwave and PopCap games are the only ones I allow on my computer. Spyware Blaster won't protect you from something you download and install. That program protects against activex controls received from web pages viewed with IE or Mozilla and won't let you see certain sites.

Had you been using the tea timer function in Spybot S&D or a program like SpySweeper or the MS Beta Anti-Spyware you would have been alerted that the program you were installing was trying to make changes to your registry (run keys etc) and to your startup programs. That would be the first indication of a problem. The latter two would probably alert you to the fact that fun web products was trying to install and would have blocked it pending your ok. That assumes you had one of them running in the background.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 cannybody22

cannybody22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:49 AM

Many thanks,I guess this is how we learn the hard way,but maybe it will help someone else to avoid this particular pitfall.
cannybody22

#4 Ronniebebe

Ronniebebe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:32 PM

If you installed 'smileys' then you got 'hotbar 'also.This is one tough cookie to get rid of,it just seems to hang in there.Heres a page of instructions on how to get rid of hotbar : http://www.pchell.com/support/hotbar.shtml Read and follow the instructions,should take care of it. I don't think you friend knows to much about security to have you install this stuff. After you take care of this go through your system and check for any signs of hotbar and get rid of it. I hope you took the smileys out also. Ron. :thumbsup:
WWS

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

We all (and I include myself here) learn the hard way, and I am sure the membership appreciates your story as a very good warning about downloading applications or programs without first doing some research about it on Google. Rest assured, I will refer anyone who asks me about Smilies to your post.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 30 March 2005 - 10:23 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 cannybody22

cannybody22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:21 AM

Thanks everybody.
I have checked my Add/Remove programmes and Hotbar doesn't appear there thank goodness.
I also ran a search for it and it only turned up "Hot bar Removal Instructions and help "which I had saved in favourites so it looks as if I might have been lucky this time.
Will be keeping a close eye out for the future and will check Google for any programme before downloading.
Cannybody22 :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users