Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noob With Svchost.exe Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peep

Peep

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

:trumpet: :inlove:

I did a massive scrub on my xps 400 (windows xp) recently. I am looking to maximize my performance on the MMORPG I play until i can upgrade my graphics card. One of the things i came across that concerns me was info on the svchost.exe worm.

Svchost.exe takes up huge amounts of space on task manager when i am checking to see what's bogging down my CoH performance (ok-mostly it's the pitiful 256 graphics card doing the bogging...but still) and it is running 6 times (network, local,system, network, local, system).

I have been checking online, and the legitimate svchost.exe program should be in \system32 only. So I tried running symantec's removal tool. It gets to msoert2.dll and my computer reboots and i can't finish the scan. (btw, i know this is off-topic, but does anyone know how to get rid of Outlook Express? it's not in add/remove programs...)

*smacks self*
Back to svchost.exe. When i ran a search, here's what i found:

Svchost C:\i386 14 KB application
Svchost C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ - 14 KB application
SVCHOST.EXE-2D5FBD18.pf C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch 23 KB PF File
Svchost C:\WINDOWS\system32 - 14 KB application
Svchost C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\dd9ab5193501484cf5e6884fa1d22f9e - 14 KB application

Some thoughts:
only the system32 version is legitimate?
why then are there 4 other versions?
Wondering if a couple of those aren't there from my abortive attempt to download service pack 3 from microsoft. That also caused my computer to crash and restart. I still haven't completed the service pack 3 download and don't intend to anytime soon. My RL friends are saying to wait until SP3 has been out a couple weeks, based on the issues with SP2...

:thumbsup: And my big question:
If only the system 32 version is legitimate, can i safely delete the other 4 versions?

I humbly await the feedback of the forum gurus :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

Svchost C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\dd9ab5193501484cf5e6884fa1d22f9e - 14 KB application

Check quietman7's post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...;hl=Svchost.exe for more information.

#3 Peep

Peep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:43 AM

Check quietman7's post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...;hl=Svchost.exe for more information.

This link/post had everything i needed in it. thanks for helping to ease my mind!

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:18 AM

This link/post had everything i needed in it. thanks for helping to ease my mind!

You're welcome. Glad the link worked for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users