Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peep

Peep

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

Hello, Peep here! decided to register on the bleepingcomputer forums, as this site has been really helpful to me in the past month.

I was catapulted from pathetic-newb to sort-of-knows-something-about-the-computer (aka lightly less pathetic newb) because i was trying to figure out why my MMORPG was having such a hard time on my xps 400.

Well suffice to say that after registry cleaning (repeatedly), ad removal, driver removal and reinstallation, running spybot multiple times, online virus scan (clean - thank you!), shutting off all the appearance effects that I don't miss now that they are gone, and customizing start up so that all that gunk that came with the computer that didn't need to run wasn't running (this is where this site was majorly handy) the computer is running much better. :thumbsup: :flowers:
*thorough scrub makes me happy*
In the next month or so I am looking forward to upgrading the power supply to 600 watts (yes it's a dell and i have my hacksaw ready to mod the case-durn proprietary design :trumpet:) upgrading the graphics card to an Nvidia 8800 (we measured, it actually will fit) and making that move to 4G RAM.

the scary thing is a month ago I wouldn't have known how to do all this. But i have learned quickly!

I have only one real outstanding question regarding the svchost.exe worm. Don't worry I will be posting that in the appropriate category.

Anyhow - Hello! Look forward to learning from the forum gurus!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

"Tis always gratifying to hear from people that BC has been helpful in resolving their problems.
Don't forget that routine maintenance, including defragmenting your hard drive, keeps your computer running well. If your on-line game makes significant revisions from time to time, a good time to defrag is after installing the new release.
Welcome to BC and thanks for becoming a Member.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 12 May 2008 - 01:49 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Peep

Peep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:40 AM

Thanks and it's been even more useful, as i posed a question in one of the other forums and got yet more useful info!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

See?
That is what BC is all about: sharing knowledge and providing help.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users