Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Applications?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hi All -- I use Windows XP, have AVG Anti-Virus and various other security safeguards installed (automatic updates to Windows, etc.). I have noticed that my computer sometimes seem to be 'working' on something deep background, and that this creates a slower and somewhat buggy computer experience for me. I feel like I spend more time 'waiting' than I should. I uninstalled one of the anti-virus programs (yes, I had more than one) -- in this case CounterSpy -- because I thought it might be running in the background even though no application is shown running when I look at Task Manager. How can 50% of the CPU usage be used up when there are NO apps showing in Task Manager as running? The 2 hour AVG virus scan yesterday came up with zero threats.

I also want to know if there are any anti virus programs that can get the job done in less than 2 HOURS. That's an incredibly long time, and when AVG is working, it slows down my computer experience. I have it scheduled to run at 3AM to avoid inconvenience, but since the computer is almost always off or in deep hiberate mode at that time, the test usually starts up when I start the computer up in the AM. Maddening. Any suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

Try this program: Process Explorer, which is more advanced than Task Manager.

Run it and check if there are any unknown processes running in the background and where they're located. You can use Google to search for the file name to see its status, i.e. if it is legitimate file.

I don't know of an Anti-virus which runs less than 2 hours (perhaps I haven't bothered checking the scanning time). But I suspect there might be one. Anyway, the scan would depend on how many files you've on your hard disk. The more the files, the longer the scan takes.

I wouldn't worry about that... AVG is a good Anti-virus program. You can run the scan after you're done with the computer. I think there is an option (tick box) where you can let AVG shut the computer down after finishing the scan. So, you just tick it and go to bed! It'll do the job for you.

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

Try this program: Process explorer which is more advanced than Task Manager.
I wouldn't worry about that... AVG is a good Anti-virus program. You can run the scan after you're done with the computer. I think there is an option (tick box) where you can let AVG shut the computer down after finishing the scan. So, you just tick it and go to bed! It'll do the job for you.

What version of AVG are you using AVG 8.0 or 7.5? I don't think there is any anti-virus programs that is less than 2 hours. Like my AVG 8.0 it takes about 3 hours to finish scanning. The more files you have the longer it takes. Also how much RAM does your computer have? If you have a mininum of RAM that could be the the reason why it is slowing down your computer alot. Go to Task Manager then click Processes, what do you see that is hogging up alot of memory? It shouldn't take up 50% of usage.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:40 AM

Check the Processes tab in Task Manager - there's a lot of stuff running there, even when nothing is running in the Applications tab. If your Processes tab is empty then that's a whole 'nother problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:17 AM

Thanks. I took a look at Process Explorer, but I do not have the technical background to interpret what I see. I am using AVG 7.5 btw. What I have noticed is a 'spike' in CPU usage (if I hear the computer start ramping up, I bring up task manager up to see what the cpu useage is. Today, I saw a spike up to 97% and the only application I had open was Firefox. With windows task manager open, I have started watching what happens to CPU useage as I perform various activities. Just clicking through to another web page (using firefox), I see an increase from say one or two percent of CPU to 25 or 30%. Is this normal? Is it normal for the computer to spike to 97% of CPU for no apparent reason? My anti-virus program is not detecting any problem. Lately, when I hear it start ramping up, if I look at the CPU in task manager and see that it is using very high levels, I just shut it off. I wait a time, turn it back on, then it acts normal again. If I notice unusual CPU activity again, I will use the process explorer to see if I can find any clues as to what is causing that. Since I am not sure what I am looking for, don't hold your breath, but I can try. At any rate, thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

Try this program: Process Explorer, which is more advanced than Task Manager.

Run it and check if there are any unknown processes running in the background and where they're located. You can use Google to search for the file name to see its status, i.e. if it is legitimate file.

I don't know of an Anti-virus which runs less than 2 hours (perhaps I haven't bothered checking the scanning time). But I suspect there might be one. Anyway, the scan would depend on how many files you've on your hard disk. The more the files, the longer the scan takes.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

When looking at the Processes tab in Task Manager you can see what programs are using the CPU and memory. If you go to the View menu and then to Select Columns - you can put a checkmark in the IOReads box so you can also see accesses to read your hard drive. You can also double click on the column header to sort the window by that columns' output.

Then just get the name of the process that's changing the most. Some "spikes" are normal when using programs - but excessive spiking is usually indicative of a problem with a program.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users