Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message on Start Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 berzokrm

berzokrm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:45 AM

My Dell Inspiron 1000 has been running fine with no problems & I haven't added any new programs recently. A week ago, I began, on startup, to get the following message periodically (not every startup):
"Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services Encountered a problem and needed to close. Error Report - yes or no?"
When I click on no, I'm at my desktop & then I'm able to operate the laptop without any problem.
When I click on Error Signature, the following appears:
sz App Name: svchost. exe
sz Mod Name: uknown
szMod Ver: 0.0.00. offset: 00000000
I have run Adaware, SpyBot, CW Shredder, System Security Suite & McAfee, Panda & RAV antivirus & spyboot programs to no avail. A file search turned up the following:
SVCHOST c:\I386
svchost c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
svchost c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
svchost c:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989
If the Error on Start Up Message can be eliminated, what should my next steps be? So far there doesn't appear to be any damage done, in that all programs appear to function normally.
My system is Dell Inspiron 1000, 2.20 GHz, 256 MB, 30 GB hard drive, Windows XP Home, 1 Year Warranty with 8 months remaining.
Thanks.
Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:54 AM

Hi berzokrm,

svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

From ProcessLibrary.com

Others have had the same issue. Look to see if the error occurs from the night before. Please run HijackThis, and post a log. I need you to do this at the time of the error. Let's see what processes are running. You can download HijackThis (HJT) from a link at the bottom of my post. Make sure you place it into its own directory - C:\HijackThis *Note: Please do not use HJT to fix anything yet.* If we find something, we need to let the HJT team work with your post. I am using this for info only.

Good luck

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 berzokrm

berzokrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

Hi Rigel,

Will download HJT, but will wait until next error occurs before posting a log. Will go from there, then. Thx.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users