Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Put An Xp Install Disk Onto A Usb Flash Drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:27 AM

Hi, I have a Windows XP install disk that I used alot is there a way I can move it onto a 1gb Flash Drive that I have?

This way I can just boot from the flash drive instead of putting in a CD or if the CD drive is broken I can still install XP?

If This can be done can you please let me know how to or link me to some tutorials.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syroco

syroco

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

Yes, there are ways to make a thumb drive a proper boot disk.

I think Windows XP is larger than 1gb, though.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:42 AM

Try this link.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

Yes, there are ways to make a thumb drive a proper boot disk.

I think Windows XP is larger than 1gb, though.

The install disk is less then 1gb it extracts the files when it installs :-)

Try this link.

That looks hard is there not a way for me to just plug in a USB sick and put in a XP disk and copy the stuff so that it will know to boot from there?

Edited by PoweredByGoogle, 12 May 2008 - 02:05 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

IMO, the link that Budapest supplied...is the one that you want to follow.

A USB flash drive is just another storage medium, same as a CD/DVD/hard drive. The differences involved for booting from each...relate to any system's capability to read data and boot from each. All of these devices can be made bootable, under the right circumstances...and each of them is capable of having Windows XP stored on it, ready for installation on a given system.

The possible stumbling point is whether or not the system in question supports booting from the desired device.

Just about every system can boot from hard drives and CDs/DVDs...but not every system can boot from a USB device. Older systems or motherboards may not have this function...or may not have it set as a default. To determine whether one can boot from a USB device, any user must go into the BIOS (Setup) and look at the settings.

Every BIOS can be a little different in terms of the options presented and the way that they are presented...so it's hard to give specifics on what setting (if any) to look for in the BIOS. On my systems, there are two options presented...one is worded "USB legacy support for DOS", while the other is "USB support for Windows".

The one which emphasizes DOS is the only one that enables USB devices to boot on my systems.

Creating a bootable medium is s 2-stage process. First, the files which allow booting must be loaded on the device...then the files which take over after booting (XP installation CD) must be copied to the device.

Personally...I think that it's much easier and safer to just use a CD (you can always burn a copy of any XP install CD and it will work effectively, just as the old/original worked) than to put the XP install files on a USB device and complicate an install procedure that is designed to run from media which are (almost) universal on every system.

But I'm lazy :thumbsup: and prefer a harder media (CD) to a soft, corruptible, more volatile (subject to corruption/failure) media such as USB devices offer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users