Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy Question About Setting Up A Network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:26 AM

Hello, I want to rebuild my network right now. I have drawn up a plan [Sorry for my bad art work] Below.
Can you please tell me what the black device in my image is called and if you see any issues with my plan.
Thank you.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

any one?

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:38 AM

I believe those would be routers, or the second one in line could possibly be a hub. But couldn't you put the wireless router after the DSL modem and put wireless cards into the desktops and save yourself a lot of grief running cable? :thumbsup:

I'm no expert at networking, but I have 3 computers hooked up to one router off the modem..
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

Hello, I want to rebuild my network right now. I have drawn up a plan [Sorry for my bad art work] Below.
Can you please tell me what the black device in my image is called and if you see any issues with my plan.
Thank you.

Posted Image

Well your going to need a router to bridge two networks like that. I recomend moving the wireless router out of the side and use it to bridge the two "Black Things" or you might a problem to have both networks communicate with each other. I like sharing my knowlage so heres a tip for your network: Routers assign ip adresses, you might what to set up both networks under differnt ip ranges Eg. 192.168.1.X and 192.168.74.X Also subnet masks are nice :thumbsup:

That "Black Thing" you want is a switch, if you and I are thinking of the same thing. Let me see if I can get a link to a switch from newegg... Aha! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833122111 Thiers a nice one :flowers: Good luck!

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 12 May 2008 - 09:02 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 bandit21

bandit21

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

hi there,

the black box your pertaining to is a switch. just a quick question is your modem a mode/router? if your answer is no definitely you need to attach your wireless router dorectly to the modem in order for the computers on the switch to work properly(you must have a DHCP server for your computer to get a dynamic IP address and also your router will share the internet connection on the from the modem a regular switch does not have that functionality)

so here's the setup that I think is best for your environment;

modem - wireless router - 1st switch(black box) - 2nd switch(black box)

or you could connect the other(computer, printer, network storage) devices to your router since most wireless home routers out on the market has a built in 4 port switch, you can just add a switch to expand the ethernet ports on your network if there are more devices to connect to.

#6 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

Ok How about this one? Check out the new design:

2wire Wireless Modem with 4 Ports. > Switch #1 > Switch#2 I will have computers plugged into both switches and on the three other ports of the wireless modem. I will also be connecting wirelessly.

Heres an image. Let me know what you think.

Posted Image

#7 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

Does the new one look good?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users