Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Photoshop Cs3 On Leopard

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

hi guys, i'm trying to install photoshop cs3 on my very first mac and i can't can't get it to work, it tells me to close safari before i can continue, but safari is closed, any ideas?

its an unusual way of installing programs after using windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:47 PM

its ok it worked, it was a matter of opening safari and closing it for some reason, unless it was opened or something, i couldn't see it minimized on the dock though.

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:20 PM

you do realize that a program is still open most of the time...

I know that in tiger there's a little triangle below the program when it is running, and thats likely the case that you had. Programs can still be running most of the time, and will be in OSX after you just close their windows. You've got to right click on the icon in the dock and tell it to quit if you really want it to completely shut down.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:57 AM

right click is no option with a mighty mouse. In leopard there's hard to see dots below an open application. I didn't realize but clicking the red dot on an application doesn't close it you have to go to the menu and click QUIT to end it, I'm only new to mac so something else i had learnt.

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

no, you can right click with a mighty mouse... you've just got to go to the system preferences and set it. I know, not because I have one at home, but at school its almost purely macs, and if you go into a graphics course you get the basics of mac OSX no matter what.. Also, if you want to right click without messing with those settings, you can hold down CTRL down when clicking, and it does the same as a right click.

Oh, and holding shift down while minimizing is pretty sweet... or bringing up dashboard for that matter.

Posted Image
My art

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

ahh, i see holding control while clicking with the mouse does do a right clickaction, another new thing i learnt. I don't see what's so wonderful about holding shift while minimizing, its just slower.

#7 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

well, its not something you would normally want to do, but its cool. Its not worth using once and a while UNLESS you've got the genie minimize effect on.

Posted Image
My art

#8 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

You've got to right click on the icon in the dock and tell it to quit

Wouldn't holding the key with the apple on it (to the left of the shift key) and pressing the "Q" key at the same time do the same thing?

#9 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

yeah, it would, but you'd have to have that program selected then, or have it be clicked on last. Otherwise, you might be trying to tell your finder window to quit.

Posted Image
My art

#10 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Izzy....you might want to read Switch 101 and Mac 101 to learn some more about using Mac OS X.

@Vaerli...how do you quit a Finder window using the ⌘ + Q keys? I just tried it with Finder and a Finder window, they didn't turn off or close.

#11 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

hmm, I'm not exactly sure... It would help if I was on one... I think apple(the one next to the space bar)+ Q should quit the window, although it might be a different one. I know on Windows OS, its always w in conjunction to close the window...

Of course, Apple-Q is the typical shortcut for closing a program, and apple shift Q is for logging out... Because its the finder window though, it might need a different shortcut. You can always look in the menus, and see if it has close window, and a shortcut next to it.

Posted Image
My art

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

You've got to right click on the icon in the dock and tell it to quit

Wouldn't holding the key with the apple on it (to the left of the shift key) and pressing the "Q" key at the same time do the same thing?

The new keyboards don't have a key with a Apple logo.

#13 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:36 AM

hmm, I'm not exactly sure... It would help if I was on one... I think apple(the one next to the space bar)+ Q should quit the window, although it might be a different one. I know on Windows OS, its always w in conjunction to close the window...

Of course, Apple-Q is the typical shortcut for closing a program, and apple shift Q is for logging out... Because its the finder window though, it might need a different shortcut. You can always look in the menus, and see if it has close window, and a shortcut next to it.

Yeah Apple-Q quits programs, it does not quit Finder or a Finder window. Apple-W does close a Finder Window though. I just tried it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

What key is next to the space bar? Is there an Apple or ⌘ icon on any of the keys on the keyboard?

#14 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Yeah Apple-Q quits programs, it does not quit Finder or a Finder window. Apple-W does close a Finder Window though. I just tried it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

What key is next to the space bar? Is there an Apple or ⌘ icon on any of the keys on the keyboard?

This is the bottom row of the keyboard i have:

CONTROL - (alt) OPTION - COMMAND ⌘ - SPAEBAR - ⌘ COMMAND - OPTION (alt) - CONTROL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users