Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

System Board
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Header Information 	
Manufacturer 	ASUSTek Computer INC.
Product Name 	NAOS
Version 	1.05
Serial Number 	MS1C68S05102218
[b]Features 	Hosting board, Board requires at least one daughter board or auxiliary card to function properly, Hot Swappable[/b]

so ummmm if i take my 56k modem out (the only expansion card) out i wont be able to use it?

Does this also mean that i can change cards while powered on? hot swappable??

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 11 May 2008 - 10:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

The motherboard should function without the modem, I'm not sure what they are referring to in this instance, I will have to do some reading. I would not suggest removing of installing any PCI cards while the computer is running.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

Well, that last part was really just an afterthought, a joke. But I wonder what they mean by Hot-Swapabble.

Unless they are talking about the SATA, but i doubt it.

Removing or installing anything on a powered up mobo can cause drastic problems.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:53 PM

Well...

a. The "system board" referenced...is the motherboard, which is made by Asustek.

b. The product name data reflected there is...unreliable and does not reflect a given Asus motherboard model.

If you really want to know the motherboard model, you can open the case and take a look...or try Start/Run...type msinfo32 and then look at the data reflected for System Manufacturer/Model. If you have a Gateway, Dell, etc. system, you will not see motherboard data but system data there.

There is a program, [post="http://www.gtopala.com/"]System Info for Windows or SIW[/post] that should reveal that data and more.

c. If you remove or disable any current functions in a system...you will not be able to use them until you reverse the process.

d. I have no idea why that hot-swappable comment is there...but I know of nothing other than hard drives which might ever be hot-swappable when connected directly to the motherboard. USB devices, yes...motherboard devices, no. Do you have an owner's manual for this motherboard or system? If so, it should contain pertinent data about board capabilities/functions.

Louis

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

its a compaq, the mobo is made by asus, but it was a contract make .. naos-gl6 a version of the m2n specifically the a8m2n-la

i cannot find a bios update anywhere specifically for this mobo, there is one out for the other naos, but that board has a different network interface, along with more ram slots, (which the pins for are present on mine) and extra sata(also pins present) but I don't want to fuddle my board up flashing with the wrong bios.

I do want, however, to modify my current bios, and unlock the locked settings, i.e. memory usage, etc, basically i want to be able to use the full 512 mb instead of 4xx plus I understand that the sata is capable of 3gb and im limited to 2.5, and i want overclocking abilities.

Basically, i want to be able to unlock everything that should be unlocked in the first place. Damn compaq for restricting access to crap. When i buy a pc, i want to be able to do WHATEVER i want to it. thats the point in buying it, if i mess it up, its my own fault.

Also realized that this computer has two bios modes, f1 gives me plain yah and such, f11 gives me that plus sensor adjustments, and power adjustments(sleep modes and such) btw anyone ever hear of s4?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:56 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146070/bios/

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users