Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Page Changed To Softwarereferral.com

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PNC

PNC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

Bugs started crawling across my screen and spyware warnings started popping up about "adware.w32.spyshredder". Whatever it is changed the wallpaper on my desktop. It changed my homepage to "softwarereferral.com" and took away access to the Task Manager saying "Access to the Task manager has been disabled by your administrator" I am the administrator on this computer and I don't even know how to disable access to the Task Manager.

What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:51 PM

First tell us what your OPerating system is,the antivirus and spyware tools installed.

BTW welcome to the forum..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 PNC

PNC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

Sorry, the OS is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pak 2. There was no active protection software running at the time.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

If you have no anti-virus, you can download for free and install one of the following:
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0 - AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual
avast! 4 Home Edition - How to Install, Configure, and Use
Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus (also provides some rootkit detection and removal))

Then perform a full system scan in "Safe Mode".

When done, please print out and follow the generic instructions for using "SmitfraudFix".
-- If you have downloaded SmitfraudFix previously, please delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!
-- If using Windows Vista be sure to Run As Administrator
  • Make sure you scroll down to Clean and perform the steps where you reboot in "Safe Mode" and run option #2.
  • The tool will go through a series of cleanup processes and automatically start the Disk Cleanup program to remove Temporary files. Wait for it to complete and Disk Cleanup to finish.
-- If the tool fails to launch from the Desktop, please move smitfraudFix.exe to the root of the system drive (usually C:\), and run it from there.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button.
Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck and delete everything you find (except "My Current Home page").
These are some common malware related entries you may see:
  • Security Info
  • Warning Message
  • Security Desktop
  • Warning Homepage
  • Privacy Protection
  • Desktop Uninstall
If present, select each entry and click the Delete button.
Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users