If you have no anti-virus, you can download for free and install one of the following:AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0
- AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manualavast! 4 Home Edition
- How to Install, Configure, and UseAvira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus (also provides some rootkit detection and removal)
Then perform a full system scan in "Safe Mode
When done, please print out and follow the generic instructions for using "SmitfraudFix
". -- If you have downloaded SmitfraudFix previously, please delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!-- If using Windows Vista be sure to Run As Administrator
-- If the tool fails to launch from the Desktop, please move smitfraudFix.exe to the root of the system drive (usually C:\), and run it from there.
- Make sure you scroll down to Clean and perform the steps where you reboot in "Safe Mode" and run option #2.
- The tool will go through a series of cleanup processes and automatically start the Disk Cleanup program to remove Temporary files. Wait for it to complete and Disk Cleanup to finish.
Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop
" tab, then the "Customize Desktop...
Click on the "Web
" tab, then under Web Pages
and delete everything
you find (except "My Current Home page").
These are some common malware related entries you may see:
- Security Info
- Warning Message
- Security Desktop
- Warning Homepage
- Privacy Protection
- Desktop Uninstall
If present, select each entry and click the Delete
Also, make sure the Lock desktop items
box is unchecked
. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
- If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
- Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
- If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
- Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.