Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebooting Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 be ryan

be ryan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

hey i also have a similar problem. but it's really weird. so when i boot up xp home, everything is running fine. then about 10 minutes in, my computer just randomly reboots. no windows log out screen or shutting down screen. it just shuts off and turns back on. i have a dell dimenision 5150 which i bought about 1 1/2 years ago. i thought it was a windows thing, but when i tried booting off of an xp disc to repair windows, well....the whole computer just turned off and turned back on. there's no amber light like most dells were going through. i wanna say it's the power supply, which is set to 115 volts right now. but then...it could be the motherboard.

oh also, when i ran the dell diagnostic tool, i was able to run for about 20 minutes until it started diagnosing the hdd and then it just rebooted. any ideas? i'm really stumped

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146184/problem-with-dell-dimension-5150/ and moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 11 May 2008 - 06:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

I saw you had posted in the Am I infected thread and then it wasn't there

:thumbsup:

Is the inside of the computer clean?

That dirt can cause overheating and mess up the power voltage rails(cause low voltage)
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 be ryan

be ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

oh...well...i did clean out the dust, but still the same problem. i doubt it'd be that cuz if the computer if overheating, i think it would usually just shut down.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

well the dust is the easiest fix, always try the easy ones first

the power supply is my first guess but harder to check? Have you added some drives or a better video card that might have overloaded it?
Chewy

#5 be ryan

be ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

nope, haven't added anything new to it. basically, i'm trying to fix my parent's computer and they seem to have a lot of usb devices connected to it such as: speaker, mouse, keyboard, usb wireless adapater and 2 printers. she also sometimes leaves her thumb drive in the front of the computer. i unplugged everything and tried to run the computer w/ only the keyboard and mouse, but it still reboots randomly. i really wish it's not the power supply.......but i feel like it might....or the motherboard

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:50 PM

see if you can access bios and get some voltage readings, the 12 volt and 5 volt rails are most important

usb devices can overload a mobo power circuit

there are several software monitors for voltage but in your case I doubt they will work?

don't think about it being the motherboard, that's the last and hardest one, could take a small flashlight and inspect

Edited by DaChew, 11 May 2008 - 07:51 PM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users