Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Trojan Protection

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ejaggers

ejaggers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

Is there a freeware that stops trojans and adware from installing on your computer. I have s/w to take it off after the fact.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

Hi; can you tell us what your present windows version is, your installed antivirus program and what other protection programs you have on board/

ARE you actually infected and seek the way out ?

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:53 PM

HI, and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.
Before we go on what programs do you have installed?
There isn't actaully a program that can stop you from downloading malacious programs I can just warn you and if you accidently downloaded it and install it then that's not the programs fault. Take a look at the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum. There's alot of protection methods that you can take to help you. I use AVG 8.0 spybot S&D, Ad-aware 2007 and spyware blaster.
I hope that helps.
Bottom line is:
1 antivirus with realtime protection (like AVG )
1 realtime anti-spyware (like Spyware Terminator or Spybot S&D with teatimer)
Then you can have other anti-spyware programs that are on-demand scanners, (like MalwareBytes)
Also Don't install more than 1 antivirus programs. If you don't have alot of RAM on your computer don't install too much anti-malware programs that may slow down your computer. If you have 1gb of RAM that is fine.

Edit: spelling error.
Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 11 May 2008 - 02:55 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

however, to give you appropriate advise we do need to know you OS, as a lot of programs are NOT compatible with a lot of platforms and you would end up with a very unstable computer ......

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

however, to give you appropriate advise we do need to know you OS, as a lot of programs are NOT compatible with a lot of platforms and you would end up with a very unstable computer ......

Agreed :thumbsup:

please give us some information. It will be greatly appreciated. Yes, we need to know your OS.
Post back as soon as posible and we will help you from there

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

ruby1 and extremeboy, if you had noticed I purposely noted the forum I moved the topic from. The OS is XP.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

You can also consider this free anti malware application . I use it.

Comodo BOClean
removes malware and registry entries, doesn't require a reboot to remove all traces, daily malware database updates, optional rollback of update to an earlier version, sweeps and detects INSTANTLY in the background, etc. - boopme

Edited by boopme, 11 May 2008 - 08:41 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the headsup
Didn't notice that ethier :thumbsup:

extremeboy

#9 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:44 AM

Comodo BOClean
removes malware and registry entries, doesn't require a reboot to remove all traces, daily malware database updates, optional rollback of update to an earlier version, sweeps and detects INSTANTLY in the background, etc. - boopme

I just installed BoClean, no problems with the install or use on Vista. Really like that recalibration feature it has, gives your system protection in real-time as you use it.
Thanks for this boopme :thumbsup:

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:40 PM

You're welcome !
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:14 AM

Comodo BOClean

is this a anti-virus or spyware program? thanks

Edited by -Cloud, 13 May 2008 - 06:15 AM.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

It's an Anti Spyware
But it handles a lot more see the paragragh on the link page.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

You also may want to read How to install/configure/use BOClean.

Another nice freebie is ArovaxShield - (monitors for malware which attempts to install on or modify the system, registry changes, auto-start entries, unwanted toolbars/BHO's, hosts file).

Edited by quietman7, 14 May 2008 - 09:56 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

Another nice freebie is ArovaxShield - (monitors for malware which attempts to install on or modify the system, registry changes, auto-start entries, unwanted toolbars/BHO's, hosts file).

i was thinking of downloading this, is it good? has anyone else got it on their system, does it do its job? and does it "clash" with other spyware or malware programs coz i dont need another AVG lol

#15 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hi -cloud.
I just downloaded it. It's pretty good, it's similar to a firewall, it tells you what has been changed and it asks you if you allow(permit) it or block it. I uninstalled it because I allready have a firewall and that it's kind of annoying, it pops up so many times. also my dad gets annoyed with these pop ups.
Anyways it's a good program. :thumbsup:

With Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users